In this short article, we will answer the question, “How long do you smoke salt?”, along with other information such as the uses of smoked salt, if you can smoke Himalayan salt, and a recipe to make smoked sea salt at home.
How long do you smoke salt?
The time taken to smoke salt varies from 4 hours to 12 hours, depending on how smokey you want the salt to be. Some even smoke their salt for up to 24 hours. You can taste the salt as it smokes, and remove it from the smoker once it reaches your preferred taste.
Can you smoke Himalayan salt?
Yes, you can smoke Himalayan. When choosing the salt, make sure it has a large surface area and is granular. This way it will absorb the smoke faster, making the flavor more intense. Other salts you can smoke include kosher salt as well as sea salt.
What is a recipe to make smoked salt at home?
Firstly, prepare your smoker by maintaining a temperature under 80 degrees. Spread the salt on a rimmed baking tray. You can also make your own baking pan by using aluminum foil.
Place the salt in the pan, and smoke it with the lid closed, for at least 4 hours. Make sure to stir the salt to allow it to smoke evenly.
Once the salt has reached your desired flavor and color, remove it from the smoker and store it in a glass jar. Smoked salt typically turns yellow after 4 hours, brown after 6 hours, and has a significant color change after 12 hours with an intense smoky flavor.
What are the different types of smoked salt?
The different types of smoked salt are as follows:
- Smoked Alderwood Salt – This is salt that is slow-smoked over red Alderwood. This is the traditional smoking wood used by North American Indians. It’s a very good method to add a naturally smoked flavor to the salt, and can be used in a wide variety of dishes.
- Smoke Mesquite Salt – This is salt that is naturally cold-smoked with mesquite wood. Smoking salt like this gives it a distinctive sweet flavor profile, and it is also the official salt of the Texan BBQ. The sale pairs well with red meats, poultry, and anything that is cooked on the grill.
- Smoked Hickory Salt – Here, the salt is cold-smoked using hickory wood, imparting a sweet and savory flavor, with a strong, smoky taste. This flavor is perfect for slow-cooking ribs, red meat, beef, pork, turkey as well as different types of burger patties.
- Smoked Chardonnay Oak Salt – This salt has a gentle smokey flavor with a hint of wine. This is because it is cold-smoked in small batches over chipped pieces of old oak barrels used to age French chardonnay. It pairs well with seafood dishes and in sauces or soups.
- Smoked Applewood Salt – Apple wood is used to cold-smoke this salt, which gives it a sweet, fruity, and woody flavor. This is the most delicate flavored smoked salt and tastes well when paired with food such as different types of shellfish, roasted vegetables, poultry, and fish.
- Extra Bold Smoke Salt – This salt is smoked carefully for around two weeks to create a strong smokey flavor. Seven different types of woods are used for this, and the taste is intense and rich. You can add it to pork, various soups, stews, marinades, or steaks.
What are the uses of smoked salt?
Smoked salt has many different uses:
- Sprinkle it on dessert.
- Rub it on steaks or meats before grilling, to add a flame-grilled flavor.
- Sprinkle on vegetables before roasting them to give them a smoky flavor.
- Add it to sauces, marinades, soups, and stews.
- Sprinkle it on your breakfast, such as eggs and avocado toast if it tastes bland.
- Garnish drinks with it, such as the rims of Bloody Mary’s, or Margaritas.
- Season snacks such as grilled cheese sandwiches, popcorn, and even watermelon using smoked salts, to create a salt and sweet flavor.
Is smoked salt healthy?
Yes, smoked sea salt is healthy, if you consume it in moderation, as compared to refined table salt. It is also 100% natural, and you can add it to your diet easily. However, overconsumption can lead to complications such as high blood pressure. More health benefits of smoked salt can be found here.
Does smoked salt expire?
Yes, smoked salt expires. Although it does not have an expiration date, poor storage conditions and time will cause the ingredient flavor, and colors to deteriorate over time. Hence, it will be less flavorful when added to dishes such as soups and stews.
In this short article, we have answered the question, “How long do you smoke salt?”, along with other information such as the uses of smoked salt, if you can smoke Himalayan salt, and a recipe to make smoked sea salt at home.