In this brief guide, we will answer the question “How do you store curry paste in the freezer?”, mention different ways to store curry paste, and list down its uses.
How do you store curry paste in the freezer?
There are two ways to store curry paste in the freezer.
- Take an empty ice cube tray and wash it.
- Then pat it completely dry with a paper towel.
- Next, spray the ice cube tray with cooking oil or use a brush to put oil.
- Measure out the amount of curry paste you would require to make one meal of curry.
- Pour this exact same amount in multiple cubes.
- Place the ice cube tray in the freezer and let the paste freeze for at least 2-3 hours.
- Once they have been frozen, take all the frozen curry paste cubes out of the ice cube tray.
- Place them inside a heavy duty freezer bag or an airtight container.
- Thaw them when needed and use them.
Freezing them first prevents them from sticking together and makes it easy for you to take out only the amount of curry paste needed.
- Measure out the amount needed to make curry by following your favorite recipe.
- Pull out a plastic wrap and lay it on your countertop.
- Place all the measured out curry paste servings on the plastic wrap with some distance in between them.
- Place another piece of plastic wrap on top of it and press it down in between the spaces.
- Take a pair of scissors and cut the plastic wrap from in between the spaces.
- Wrap the plastic properly around the curry paste.
- Place all of these curry paste balls and place them in the freezer as it is or inside a heavy duty freezer bag.
- Take them out individually when required.
Can I store curry paste in the refrigerator?
Yes of course you can store curry paste in the refrigerator once it has been opened but it will only stay fresh for up to 2 weeks. While it can last for about 2-3 months when kept in the freezer.
When the curry paste jar is unopened, you can keep it in the pantry in a cool, dark place.
Is it a good idea to store curry paste in the freezer?
Yes, freezing the curry paste is a good idea when you have a lot of it left and you wish to store it for longer periods of time rather than having to throw it out and buying a new one every time you want to make curry.
However, curry paste may lose its taste and freshness over time so if you use it after a long time, you may have to adjust the seasonings or ingredients according to your needs. Also, curry paste may also get freezer burns which is why it is important to store it properly and in a freezer safe ziploc bag.
What are some different ways in which I can use curry paste?
Curry paste is very versatile in a way that it can be used to make a bunch of dishes. Some of them are mentioned here:
Well, of course the most common use of curry paste is to make curry. Just fry a little bit of curry paste in a pan with some oil to pop out the flavors. Then add your desired meat and vegetables. Add coconut milk, stock, or water to thin out the consistency of the curry.
Yes, you read that right. You can use curry paste to make soup. You can add cream or coconut milk to make cream based soups. The milk or cream adds smoothness and richness to the curry paste.
You can use curry paste to make pasta sauce. Pick whichever type of thai curry you like best and just add cream to it. Let it simmer for a while then pour it over spaghetti or any type of paste that you prefer. You can also add vegetables and protein according to your liking.
If you are bored of eating the same bland salad everyday, try making a salad dressing of curry paste to give it a kick. Add curry paste in yogurt or mayonnaise and give a little stir until fully combined. Then pour it over your salad.
Use curry paste as a marinade for chicken. Add curry paste in some curry paste, then add your chicken to it. Coat all the chicken evenly and leave it in the fridge overnight.
Make a sauce
Well it might sound unconventional but you can add a spoonful of curry paste to mayonnaise and use it as a dip or in your sandwiches. You can also use it to top nachos or tacos.
Find out more about the uses of curry paste here.
Other FAQs about Curry that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How do you store curry paste in the freezer?”, mentioned different ways to store curry paste, and listed down its uses.