Can you get sick from eating too many mushrooms?
In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “Can you get sick from eating too many mushrooms?”. Moreover, we will make clear whether eating mushrooms is good for your health or not, symptoms of eating too many mushrooms, the composition of mushrooms, their health benefits and some drawbacks of eating too many mushrooms.
Can you get sick from eating too many mushrooms?
Yes, you can get sick from eating too many mushrooms. Mushrooms are not a bad choice to eat but they are harmful to health if taken in excessive quantities. So, eating too many mushrooms at a single time is dangerous and can even cause death.
Common symptoms of eating too many mushrooms
Eating too many mushrooms is not good for your health. Some common symptoms which can appear after overconsumption of mushrooms are as follows
- Panic attacks
How many mushrooms can be eaten in one day
As we know everything in excess is bad for health. Although, mushrooms are highly beneficial for health. They become detrimental only when we consume too many mushrooms at a time. To avoid any harmful effects we should consume only five mushrooms per day.
Nutritional constituents of mushrooms
Mushrooms have the following components:
Health benefits of eating mushrooms
Eating mushrooms is very good for your health. Following are some benefits that can be gained from eating mushrooms
- Dose of selenium: By eating mushrooms, the body does not become deficient in selenium. Almost nine micrograms of selenium are present in one cup of mushroom. Selenium is very much beneficial in preventing cancer.
- Source of potassium: Mushrooms provide a good amount of potassium that is a very potent agent. It is used in the regulation of heart, muscle and nerve functions.
- Source of vitamin D: Other than the animals, the only source of vitamin D is mushrooms. Vitamin D is very much beneficial for bone health as it encourages the absorption of calcium in the digestive tract.
- Beneficial for the brain: Ergothioneine, which is present in mushrooms, is an antioxidant. This antioxidant is highly beneficial for the brain and boosts brain functions.
- Maintain cholesterol levels: Mushrooms help in decreasing cholesterol levels in the body.
- Good for weight loss: As mushrooms are low caloric, as well as high in fibre, protein and antioxidants so these are good for weight loss.
Mushrooms that give the most health benefits
Although all mushrooms are very healthy to eat, some are particularly more beneficial. Among these, shiitake, turkey tail, and lion’s mane are famous. Mushrooms are neither plants nor animals so these are often placed in the category of vegetables.
In how many ways mushrooms can be used?
Mushrooms are very versatile and can be used for numerous purposes. Some of them are as follows
- Uses of mushroom for stuffer and as a filler: Mushrooms can be utilized as a filler for tacos and burgers as they have a great texture and umami flavour. Mushrooms are also used for stuffing purposes.
- Utilization as mushroom powder: After grinding mushrooms, they form a powder that can be used over mashed potatoes or as a rich crust on steaks.
- Use of mushrooms in skincare: Mushrooms are a natural supplement that is important for the skincare routine. Some mushrooms have the potential for improving human skin conditions like acne, redness etc.
- Prevention of hair loss: Hair loss can be prevented by using reishi mushrooms. Apart from this, reishi mushrooms also help in making hair strong.
Harmful effects of eating too many mushrooms
Following are some harmful effects of eating too many mushrooms.
- Allergic reaction: Sometimes mushrooms trigger allergic reactions which can be mild or extreme. Some allergic reactions include lung-related problems and breathing difficulty.
- Tiredness: Mushrooms can be the reason for tiredness. As mushrooms provide amino acid tryptophan, it leads to fatigue and tiredness.
- Hallucination: it has been found that mushrooms can also lead to hallucinations.
- Food poisoning: When mushrooms get combined with Campylobacter jejuni, it becomes unhealthy. This unhealthy mushroom leads to food poisoning.
Some interesting facts regarding mushrooms
- Mushrooms have a very unique life cycle.
- Even though mushrooms do not need light to grow, they need ultraviolet rays to produce vitamin D.
- 50 different states of mushroom growth can be seen.
- The potassium level in a single Portobello mushroom is more as compared to a banana.
- When the composition of mushrooms was analyzed, it was revealed that mushrooms are composed of almost 90 per cent water.
In this short article, we have provided an answer to the question “Can you get sick from eating too many mushrooms?”. Moreover, we have made clear whether eating mushrooms is good for your health or not, symptoms of eating too many mushrooms, the composition of mushrooms, their health benefits and some drawbacks of eating too many mushrooms.