In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “can you get sick from eating expired tortilla chips” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can get sick from eating expired tortilla chips. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store tortilla chips and what you can do with stale tortilla chips.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
Can you get sick from eating expired tortilla chips?
When it comes to tortilla chips, you do not necessarily get sick from eating expired tortilla chips as long as they were stored appropriately and there is no moldy growth on them.
Packaged tortilla chips do not have enough moisture in them therefore they do not provide suitable media for microbes to grow. Moreover, the high salt content of the tortilla chips also plays a significant role in preserving the quality of the tortilla chips for a long time.
So no doubt tortilla chips can still be eaten once they go past the date printed on them but you will feel a change in its texture and flavor so as long as you are okay with it, you can eat the expired tortilla chips, it won’t make you sick.
You should consider the smell, texture, and appearance, and taste of the tortilla chips to reach a final verdict on whether or not you are going to eat them.
- If you notice a rancid or unpleasant smell while taking a sniff test of your tortilla chips, it means that your tortilla chips have expired and gone rancid.
- If you spot a white growth or some molds on your tortilla chips then it is better to discard such tortilla chips.
- Last but not least the tortilla chips that are long past the “best before” date can have a significant change in texture, they lose their crunch and can become stale.
So your chips look or smell off, then it is better to toss it out as it is better to be safe than sorry.
It is worth mentioning that instead of the “expiration date”, you will find a “best by” or “best before date” written on the packet of tortilla chips. The “best by” or “best before” date that is written on the pack of tortilla chips refers to more of quality rather than safety so the tortilla chips don’t necessarily go bad immediately after the best before date.
This date refers to the time during which you can enjoy the peak quality and flavor of the tortilla chips but you can still eat tortilla chips that are past this date as long as they were stored properly.
Unopened tortilla chips last for about 2-3 months past the printed date on the packet if they are stored in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
Opened tortilla chips last for about 1-2 weeks if it is stored in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag in a cool, dry and dark corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
It is worth mentioning that the figures mentioned above are the estimated shelf life of tortilla chips and tortilla chips can even last longer than this provided that it is stored properly.
Other FAQs about Tortillas which you may be interested in.
Tips to properly store tortilla chips
- tortilla chips should be stored in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. Therefore you can safely store the tortilla chips in a cool and dry corner of your pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Once you have opened the packet of tortilla chips, you should transfer the rest of the tortilla chips in an air-tight container or resealable plastic zipper bag. It is necessary to store the tortilla chips this way so that no air and moisture will find their way to the tortilla chips and degrade their quality.
- If you want to store the tortilla chips in the original packaging after it gets opened, what you can do is to tightly roll over the packaging and use a clip to seal the opening.
- You should close the lid of the container as soon as you are done getting out the number of tortilla chips that you need.
- You should never store your tortilla chips in a humid environment.
You can read how to make baked tortilla chips here.
What to do with stale tortilla chips?
So if your tortilla chips are just stale but smell fine, what you can do is to take a baking tray and spread the tortilla chips on it. Afterward, put the tray with tortilla chips in the oven that is preheated at about 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Bake the tortilla chips for about 10 minutes and you can just devour the tortilla chips afterward. It is worth mentioning that it is better to check the tortilla chips every 3-4 minutes after putting them in the oven and once they reach their ideal crunch, you can go ahead and eat them.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “can you get sick from eating expired tortilla chips” with an in-depth analysis of whether or not you can get sick from eating expired tortilla chips. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store tortilla chips and what you can do with stale tortilla chips.