Can you eat ORBEEZ?

In this brief guide, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can you eat ORBEEZ?”. We will also elaborate on the composition of ORBEEZ, the symptoms of swallowing ORBEEZ, and the side effects of eating ORBEEZ on health.

Can you eat ORBEEZ?

No, you can not eat ORBEEZ. Although, ORBEEZ beads are not poisonous to health, they are not intended for eating.

However, if accidentally swollen; they can pass through the digestive tract safely from where they are eliminated. 

While in kids, the consumption of ORBEEZ beads can lead to harmful effects. So, try to keep ORBEEZ beads away from the reach of your children. In case your child has ingested one, seek medical assistance immediately. 

What are Orbeez and are they toxic?

Orbeez beads are small polymer beads that get enlarged when soaked in hot or warm water. 

Orbeez beads are also named crystal balls, fairy eggs, dragon eggs, or gel balls. These are synthesized by environment-friendly non-toxic gel which requires almost 4 hours of soaking before using them as bullets or shells. These gel balls retain their shape and structure until they hit the ground or any firm surface.

Children use ORBEEZ beads for playing and are considered safe for kids. 

What is the composition of ORBEEZ?

Orbeez beads are composed of various components, including variable amounts of super-absorbent polymers, commonly consisting of acrylic acid, sodium hydroxide, and color additives, most of which are non-toxic. 

The pleasant shades of ORBEEZ beads are obtained by the addition of pigments in the ORBEEZ composition. These pigments may be of different shades and colors.

Although, the components which are used in the manufacturing of ORBEEZ are generally considered non-poisonous, non-toxic, and biodegradable. They are safe to play with but are not meant to be consumed. These are best used with older children who do not gnaw objects.

Can you die by ingesting ORBEEZ?

Orbeez beads are not harmful to health. So, they could not lead to the death of humans. It has been proved by the empirical facts, figures, and statistics, that these gel balls can not distort in the stomach nor they can stick to the walls of the stomach.

After eating ORBEEZ beads, what happens in the stomach? 

In the stomach, ORBEEZ beads could not cause any harmful effects while moving down the digestive tract. 

It has been found that ORBEEZ beads usually grow most rapidly in the initial 12 hours. This means that upon consumption, these beads can typically pass through the esophagus and stomach, but may eventually get stuck while passing through the lower gastrointestinal tract. 

While there is also some evidence that in the intestine ORBEEZ beads could grow or get enlarged up to 7 mm in diameter. 

However, if ORBEEZ beads are ingested in their enlarged form, then the sign and symptoms can vary in the intestine, where they can result in obstruction. As in the intestine, these gel balls could block the pathways, which could cause retardation in the air passage.  

What are the symptoms of swallowing ORBEEZ in children?

Some important signs and symptoms which you should notice in case your child has swallowed ORBEEZ beads are defined below:

  • Refusing to eat anything
  • Drooling more than usual
  • Vomiting 
  • Constipation 
  • Wheezing 
  • Unusual abdominal swelling and soreness 
  • Complaining that something is stuck in their chest or throat
  • Difficulty in respiration
  • Abdominal disturbance 

If your kid shows any of these signs and symptoms, you should not ignore them and take preventive measures immediately. Go for medical assistance as soon as possible.

What can you do with Orbeez balls? 

We can use these ORBEEZ balls for various other significant tasks such as a stabilizer for the flowers. 

You can use them for decorative purposes after soaking them in water with flowers of your own choice. 

These balls are also used by kids for playing purposes. 

Orbeez balls are also capable of locking the moisture in the soil. So, you can also use them for planting.

What is the main concern of ORBEEZ balls?

ORBEEZ balls are designed for decorative purposes and also for floral arrangements. One major concern with ORBEEZ balls is that when placed in a vase of flowers, ORBEEZ balls can absorb the excess water from the environment.

Can you leave Orbeez in the water?

Orbeez balls are reusable, if you do not need them, you can preserve them after extracting their water and again soak them whenever you require. Because they need water to grow.


In this brief guide, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat ORBEEZ?”. We have also elaborated on the composition of ORBEEZ, the symptoms of swallowing ORBEEZ, and the side effects of eating ORBEEZ on health.


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!