Can you eat monkeys?
In this brief article, we will provide an answer to the question, “Can you eat monkeys?”. We will further elaborate on the taste of monkey meat along with its benefits and drawbacks.
Can you eat monkeys?
Technically yes, you can eat monkeys. However, monkey meat may pose some threats as it consists of parasites.
In previous times, monkey meat was eaten in different parts of the world, most prominently in Europe, America and Africa.
Is eating monkeys regarded as cannibalism?
Although some people refer to eating monkeys as cannibalism. But this is not the case. Monkeys belong to a different species though they are very closely related to humans. So the consumption of monkeys can not be regarded as cannibalism.
Is monkey meat safe to eat?
No, monkey meat is not really safe to eat. Although there is not much harm in eating monkey meat, it does have some serious contamination risks.
Is it illegal to eat monkey meat?
In the United States, eating monkey meat has been declared illegal. It is not allowed to import bushmeat into the United States. In case someone tries to bring the meat to the United States, it is seized at border entries and the meat is discarded.
The United States government prohibited eating monkey meat owing to its disadvantages.
The taste of the monkey meat
Monkey meat was treated as a delicacy in particular areas of Japan. The taste of meat is somewhat ambiguous. It is not regarded as flavorful. The meat of monkeys is not tender. Like the meat of a goat, the meat of a monkey is greasy and its toughness resembles the toughness of a llama.
What is the habitat of monkeys?
Monkeys prefer to make their homes in forests, grasslands and high plains. Some monkeys are arboreal too. These monkeys spend most of their time in trees. Some types of monkeys like baboons and macaques live on the ground.
How to cook the meat of monkeys?
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours 30 minutes
Total: 4 hours
Serving: 12 persons
- All the ingredients including ground cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and chile pepper are collected.
- After trimming the beef roast of excess fat, it is cut into four large chunks. Two teaspoons of salt and pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, and 1 tablespoon of ground cumin are mixed. Then this mixture is rubbed into the meat.
- Three tablespoons of olive oil are heated in a skillet over medium heat. Meat is seared on all sides. Olive oil is added after removing the meat from the pan.
- Onions, garlic, Anaheim peppers, poblano peppers, jalapeno peppers, green pepper and celery are added after lowering heat.
- Roma tomatoes are added and seasoned with remaining chili powder and cumin. After simmering it, cook for another five minutes.
- Then the meat is stirred in beef broth and returned to the pan. After checking all the required conditions seasoning is adjusted. Before serving it is reheated.
- Calories: 424
- Protein: 43.3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 grams
- Fat 24.1 grams
- Cholesterol 124 milligrams
- Sodium: 819.8 milligrams
Some facts about monkeys
Following are some facts about monkeys that are not very common.
- Behavior when food is scarce: When there is a shortage of food, female monkeys don’t do mating and wait for the conditions to become favorable.
- Consume only unripe fruit: Unripe fruits are eaten by Proboscis. The reason behind eating only unripe fruit is that the fermentation effect of ripe fruits can kill them.
- The behavior of monkeys while they are aggressive: When monkeys get aggressive they pull their lips and yawn. Other indications are head bobbing and jerking of head and shoulders forward.
Benefits of monkeys
Following are some of the benefits we can avail from monkeys
- Used for disease study: Monkeys can be used to study some human diseases. The reason behind this is that there is a great resemblance biologically, anatomically, and physiologically between humans and monkeys. The reproductive system, brain and muscle structure is the same in both.
- Source of protein: Although monkey meat is generally not preferred for eating, it provides a high amount of protein. Protein is very useful for the strengthening of bones and muscles.
Disadvantages of monkeys
Following are some disadvantages of monkeys
- Can attack humans: No doubt monkeys are friendly towards humans but these can also attack humans and cause them harm.
- Can spread diseases: Monkeys carry many parasitic and zoonotic diseases. When they scratch or touch humans, these diseases can be transferred.
In this brief article, we have provided an answer to the question, “Can you eat monkeys?”. We have further elaborated on the taste of monkey meat along with its benefits and drawbacks.