In this brief guide, we will discuss the question “can you cook gnocchi in a crock pot?” We will also discuss other queries related to the subject at hand.
Can you cook gnocchi in a crock pot?
Yes, you can cook gnocchi in a crockpot. Crockpot is considered as a type of slow cooker with some updated functions so, crockpot is more or less the same as a slow cooker. For more information about cooking gnocchi in a crock pot, just keep reading this article.
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is considered a very famous Italian dish. Gnocchi mainly consists of small lumps of dough and this dough consists of more than one ingredient such as semolina, ordinary wheat flour, egg, cheese, potatoes, breadcrumbs, cornmeal or other similar ingredients.
How to cook gnocchi in a crockpot?
You can cook gnocchi in a crockpot and make several tasty and delicious recipes. One of these recipes is the crockpot chicken gnocchi soup.
To prepare this recipe, simply get the following ingredients and apply the following steps:
Ingredients of the crockpot chicken gnocchi soup
- Chicken breasts which are boneless and skinless.
- 2 cups of mirepoix which is a simple mixture of chopped onions and carrots.
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of basil.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 4 cups of chicken broth.
- 2 tablespoons of water which contain dissolved 3 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- About 4 cups of gnocchi.
- Two 12 ounce cans of evaporated milk.
- 6 slices of bacon.
Directions of the crockpot chicken gnocchi soup
- Place the chicken, mirepoix, basil, salt and the chicken broth in the crockpot.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- After that, add the cornstarch mixture, the evaporated milk and the gnocchi to the crock pot, stir and cook for another 45 minutes until you observe that the gnocchi is soft and the soup is thickened.
- While you are waiting for the soup to be thickened enough, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry these pieces until crispy.
- Add the bacon to the crock pot and stir to combine all of the ingredients together.
- Serve the meal and enjoy.
Are there any tips to take into account when you cook gnocchi in a crockpot?
Yes, you have to decide when to add your gnocchi depending on its type. If you are using dried gnocchi, rinse it before adding it to the crock pot and add it with the rest of the ingredients at the beginning. If you are using frozen gnocchi, just wait until the last thirty minutes of the cook time and add it.
How to store cooked gnocchi?
You can safely store the cooked gnocchi. If you plan to keep it for more than a month, the safest option is to freeze the gnocchi. On the other hand, if you plan to store it for days, you can refrigerate the cooked gnocchi.
Storing the cooked gnocchi in the refrigerator
Follow these steps if you want to refrigerate the cooked gnocchi:
- Place the cooked gnocchi in an airtight container with a lid.
- Cover the container tightly.
- Label the container with both the storage and the expiration dates.
- Place the covered container into the refrigerator.
- This container can be safely stored in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Storing the cooked gnocchi in the freezer
Follow these simple steps if you want to freeze the cooked gnocchi:
- Freeze the gnocchi directly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once frozen, transfer the frozen gnocchi pieces into freezer bags and seal them tight.
- Place these freezer bags into the freezer.
- When you want to eat gnocchi, just thaw the frozen previously cooked gnocchi in the microwave for 2 minutes.
What are the other available methods to make use of the cooked gnocchi leftovers?
If you want to save these leftovers from the cooked gnocchi, you can simply follow these different tips:
- Use leftover gnocchi for ravioli or lasagna as your filling.
- Add leftover gnocchi to your soup or your pasta dish.
- Use leftover gnocchi as a topping on your pizza.
- Use leftover gnocchi as your meatball or chicken balls stuffing.
What are the signs of spoiled gnocchi?
To tell if the gnocchi is bad, you can check the following signs:
- Observe the color and the texture of the gnocchi pieces. If they feel mushy or sticky, discard the gnocchi.
- Check the smell of the gnocchi. Gnocchi should have a nutty odor. Other than that, discard the gnocchi.
Are there any other crock pot gnocchi recipes?
Yes, there are many tasty and delicious simple recipes for gnocchi which are cooked in a crock pot. For more details about the ingredients needed and the instructions to follow in order to prepare these amazing recipes, you can simply check here.
In this guide, we have discussed the question “can you cook gnocchi in a crock pot?” We also have discussed other queries related to the subject at hand.