What would happen if you swallowed a cherry pit?

In this short article, we will answer the question, “what would happen if you swallowed a cherry pit?” and will also discuss the toxicity and its choking hazard.

What would happen if you swallowed a cherry pit?

Swallowing a cherry pit could lead to cyanide poisoning. Because cyanide poisoning is not expected to occur after consuming a little number of cherry pits, symptoms are very rare. Although cherry pits are unlikely to induce minor cyanide poisoning, the symptoms of mild cyanide poisoning include dizziness, headache, extreme anxiety, and vomiting. Severe cyanide poisoning manifests itself in a variety of ways, including increased heart rate and blood pressure, difficulty breathing, renal failure, convulsions, and coma.

All about cyanide

Chrysanthemums contain trace amounts of cyanide compounds (known as cyanogenic glycosides) inside their tough outer shell, which is referred to as the pit or stone. The pit will not hurt anybody if they eat it by accident, and it will travel through the system unscathed and pass out in the stool. The release of cyanide occurs only when the pit is crushed or consumed. This is very unlikely to happen while eating a fresh cherry since the pit is too strong to break apart. In part due to the low concentration of the toxin in the food, the amount of the toxin present in a normal meal does not usually pose a threat of poisoning.

Cherry pits are also referred to as cherry seeds and cherry stones in certain circles. Cherries are classified as stone fruits, along with plums, peaches, nectarines, and mangoes, and they all contain naturally occurring cyanide compounds in their pits, which is why they are so dangerous.

Cyanide is a poison that, depending on the amount consumed, may cause your cells to lose their ability to absorb oxygen (CDC). As frightening as it may seem, eating a cherry pit does not typically result in poisoning since the seeds stay contained inside the indigestible shell, according to the National Cherry Producers Council.

It’s a Choking Hazard

An additional issue to consider while eating stone fruit is the possibility of choking. For young children, who may be inexperienced with cherry or other similar fruits, this is especially dangerous. If possible, remove the pits before eating or teach children to spit out the seeds and pits before eating to prevent any potential hazards.

How to Prevent Consumption of Cherry Pits?

However, although accidental ingestion of pits or stones is generally safe, avoidance is the best course of action — which means digesting your fruit thoroughly and avoiding swallowing the pits or stones entirely. Children as young as 18 months should be taught how to spit out the pit.

Avoid accidentally ingesting the pits from any stone fruits before eating them, combining them, baking them, or cooking with them.

Even while you may have heard claims about the health benefits of eating pits or stones, there is no legitimate medical evidence to support such claims, and doing so may be potentially dangerous, according to the National Center for Psychiatric Research.

Are there any benefits of cherry pits?

Cherry pit kernels have been separated and extracted for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties; however, further research into their safety and efficacy is needed before they can be used widely.

3 most important benefits of cherry

The following are the most significant benefits of the cherry fruit.

Cherries are a fruit that is very high in nutrients.

You may enjoy dark red fruits, sweet or bitter depending on your preference; nevertheless, they are a very nutritional powerhouse that should not be overlooked. Cherries are low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and other components that are helpful to one’s overall health and wellness. In addition, they are minimal in calories and fat. As a consequence, you’ll get vitamins C, A, and K in plenty. In addition to potassium, magnesium, and calcium, each fruit with a long stem contains a variety of other nutrients. In addition, they contain antioxidants such as beta-carotene and the important mineral choline, among other nutrients.

A Cell Defender 

Cherries are a fantastic source of antioxidants, and they are also very delicious to eat. Naturally occurring substances that may assist your body in mending cell damage that occurs regularly.

Diabetes assistant

A small study involving 19 diabetic women found that those who drank tart cherry juice regularly for six weeks dropped weight while also seeing improvements in their blood pressure and blood sugar levels, according to the findings. 

Other FAQs about Cherry that you may be interested in.

How far apart to plant cherry trees?

What to do if I accidentally swallowed a cherry pit?

Are cherries a berry

Conclusion

In this short article, we answered the question, “what would happen if you swallowed a cherry pit?” and also discussed the toxicity and its choking hazard.

Reference

https://missouripoisoncenter.org/cherry-pits/
https://www.fltimes.com/town_crier/videos/what-happens-when-you-swallow-a-cherry-pit/video_f8941280-ca4e-5ade-b7f8-83e78b346d62.html
https://www.livestrong.com/article/552194-can-a-cherry-pit-dissolve-in-the-intestines/

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.