What to serve with a gammon joint?
In this article, we will answer the question “What to serve with a gammon joint?”, and how to make honey roast gammon?
What to serve with a gammon joint?
The gammon roast is best served with veggies. Roast potatoes are a classic side dish for gammon but mashed or baked potatoes also work. Balance the meaty and decadent gammon with the bland greens that add a color pop as well.
Some of the other best side dishes include cheesy leeks, veggies such as carrots, red cabbage, and roast parsnips, peas pudding, etc. The best sauces for roast gammon are mustard, apple sauce, or cranberry sauce.
How to make a simple honey roast gammon?
- 1.25 kg gammon joint organic
- 1 onion organic, peeled and halved
- 900 g potatoes organic, such as Desiree, King Edward, or Maris Piper, peeled & cut egg size
- 4 carrots organic, peeled and cut into sticks
- 4 parsnips organic, peeled and cut into sticks
- 4 tablespoon olive oil organic, fairtrade
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary organic, leaves only
- 20 cloves organic, fairtrade
- 2 teaspoon English mustard organic
- 2 tablespoon runny honey organic
- 300 g green cabbage organic or another seasonal green veg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour use Cornflour for gluten-free
- 300 ml beef stock
- Calculate the cooking time according to the weight of your gammon. The standard is to cook a 450g /1lb gammon for about 20 minutes with an additional 20 minutes to rest the gammon before carving.
- Fill a large pot with cold water. Then add the gammon joint, bay leaves, and cloves to the water. Bring the water to a boil. Halfway through the cooking time, reduce the heat and simmer the gammon joint.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a roasting pan with 2 pieces of aluminum foil, arranged perpendicularly to each other.
- Transfer the gammon joint to the roasting pan. Throw in some onions. Then loosely fold the sides of the foil pieces over the gammon joint to make a seal. Bake the gammon joint for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Fill a large pan with water and lightly season it with some salt. Bring this water to a boil and cook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsnips and carrots and boil for an additional 4 minutes. Drain the water using a colander.
45 minutes before eating
Toss the carrots, potatoes, and parsnips in oil and season with salt, paper and add some rosemary. Arrange everything in a single layer in the roasting pan and bake.
40 minutes before eating
Remove the gammon joint and increase the oven temperature to 220°C/425°F/ gas mark 7. Peel the skin off the gammon joint, exposing the fat. Score the fat into the diamond pattern carefully. Coat the joint with mustard and honey. Stuff each “X” with clove and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
How to make Gammon with mustard potatoes?
- 1 small onion
- 1 x 750g gammon joint, smoked or unsmoked
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar or light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 700g basics salad potatoes, cut into chunks
- 325g frozen green beans
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Save a quarter of onion for the potato salad if you want and slice the rest of the onions.
- In a large saucepan, dump the gammon joint (while it is still in its paper casing) along with the sliced onions, and water.
- Bring the water to a simmer and ladle out the foam that collects on top. Cook for about 45 minutes. While the gammon joint cooks preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 190°C, gas 6.
- In a small mixing bowl, add sugar and 2 tablespoons of mustard. Mix until well-combined.
- Transfer the cooked gammon to the small foil-lined roasting tin. Remove the loosened casing of the gammon joint and coat it with the prepared glaze.
- Roast the glazed gammon joint for about 20 minutes or until caramelized. Let it rest or about 10 minutes before carving. The resting time will ensure that the juices inside the gammon joint redistribute and disperse evenly.
- While the gammon bakes in the oven, boil the potatoes in salted water. Stir in the green beans and bring the water to a boil. Cook until soft and drain the water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard with the lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and the finely sliced reserved onion if used. Stir in the potatoes and beans while they are still warm and can absorb the dressing.
- Thinly slice the gammon and serve alongside the potato salad.
Other FAQs about Pork that you may be interested in.
In this article, we answered the question “What to serve with a gammon joint?”, and how to make honey roast gammon?