What to do if I accidentally melted plastic in the oven?

In this brief guide, we will answer the question “What to do if I accidentally melted plastic in the oven ?” with an in-depth analysis of what you should do if you accidentally melted plastic in the oven?. Moreover, we will discuss the ways to clean melted plastic from the oven along with discussing whether you should consume food with melted plastic in it and what effects melting plastic has on your health if ingested or inhaled.

What to do if I accidentally melted plastic in the oven?

If you have accidentally melted plastic in an oven, you should completely remove it carefully before using it for cooking.

The melted plastic in the oven should be removed before using the oven for cooking or baking as it can lead to heavy smoke, emission of dangerous gases, and an insertion of bad smell to the food being cooked.

How can you remove melted plastic from the gas oven?

  • Turn off the gas. 
  • Remove the bottom oven panel using the two screws at the back of the panel. 
  • Protect your countertops with a cloth or newspapers and place the panel on the counter so it lies flat. 
  • Place a bag of ice on the melted plastic. 
  • Allow time for the plastic to harden and then scrape it away with a razor blade scraper.

How can you remove melted plastic from ovens with continuous cleaning features?

  • With the room well-vented, turn the oven to the lowest setting and heat for just a few minutes until the plastic is pliable enough to scrape away. 
  • Use only a wooden spoon, spatula, or chopstick to remove the plastic (metal utensils will harm the finish). 
  • Wipe the wooden utensil with paper towels between each scrape to prevent spreading the plastic.

Can you use the oven with melted plastic in it for cooking?

If done accidentally you will need to fully clean the oven by hand. Do not turn on the self-clean cycle if you have a self-cleaning, oven, that will just spread the toxic chemicals over everything as a vapor.

Use acceptable means and methods necessary to get all the plastic off and all surfaces washed and wiped clean. Once all traces of the plastic are removed, then you can use it to cook in again.

Can melted plastic fumes be harmful? 

Whether you burned the plastic in the oven, microwave, or other appliance, the smell can linger behind and spread to other areas of the home. The burnt plastic fumes can irritate your lungs and may contain toxins that could harm your health.

What to do to eliminate the smell if you accidentally melted hefty amounts of plastic in the oven?

  1. Ventilate the home by opening doors and windows. 
  2. Use bowls filled with white vinegar to absorb the smell in the most affected rooms.
  3. Light candles, incense, and use deodorizers to mask the odor.
  4. Use baking soda on carpets overnight to absorb the odor and vacuum the next day.

Can melted plastic kill you?

Most plastic is inert and non-toxic. It will not harm you unless you eat a piece big enough to choke on. Your stomach won’t digest it and it’ll come out in due time.

Can you get sick from melted plastic?

No, eating small or minute amounts of plastic does not make you sick.No ill effects from the consumption of plasticizers in small amounts have been found. If you were to accidentally eat food containing melted plastic, you wouldn’t suffer any harmful effects on your health, but your food probably wouldn’t taste too appetizing.

What happens if you accidentally eat plastic along with food?

In most cases only a minute quantity of plastic is ingested. In these cases, the swallowed piece of plastic passes through the alimentary canal uneventfully and is excreted through feces. But, unfortunately, if it gets lodged somewhere in between, then symptoms like vague abdominal discomfort or vomiting may occur.

Can you get sick if you eat food that a plastic spoon melted in?

Yes, some plastics are made up of potentially harmful chemicals that can make you sick. Plastic can be very harmful if it melts into your food and the biggest reason behind it is because it contains these seriously strong chemicals, one of the key chemicals being, BPS or BPA (Bisphenol S or A). These chemicals, when melted and ingested, can cause serious health hazards if taken in large quantities.

Can you eat from a burnt plastic bowl?

If there is a lot of melted plastic, get rid of the food. However, it is never recommended to eat food that has been in contact with burnt plastic fumes for a considerable time or if the plastic has melted onto the food.

You can read the adverse health effects of plastics here.

Conclusion:

In this brief guide, we have answered the question “What to do if I accidentally melted plastic in the oven ?” with an in-depth analysis of what you should do if you have accidentally melted plastic in the oven?.  Moreover, we have also discussed the ways to clean melted plastic from the oven along with discussing whether you should consume food with melted plastic in it and what effects can melted plastic have on your health if ingested or inhaled.

Citations:

https://cleaning.lovetoknow.com/cleaning-tips/how-remove-melted-plastic-from-oven-safely
https://www.hunker.com/13419608/how-to-clean-melted-plastic-out-of-an-oven
https://www.quora.com/How-harmful-is-ingesting-plastic-wrap-I-ate-a-whole-spring-roll-without-realizing-it-was-completely-wrapped-in-saran-wrap-Should-I-be-worried-Will-it-pass-okay-or-will-I-have-to-go-to-the-ER

Mahnoor Asghar is a Clinical Nutritionist with a bachelor's degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. She is compassionate and dedicated to playing her part in the well-being of the masses. She wants to play a fruitful role in creating nutrition and health-related awareness among the general public. Additionally, she has a keen eye for detail and loves to create content related to food, nutrition, health, and wellness.