In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “what temperature does yeast grow best” with an in-depth analysis of the temperature range at which yeast grows best. Moreover, we are going to discuss the optimal pH for the best growth of the yeast along with the tips to store yeast to preserve its freshness for a long time.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
What temperature does yeast grow best?
The ideal temperature for the yeast to grow is 25 to 35 degrees Celsius. This is the temperature range at which yeast grows best at.
Overall yeast has the ability to grow on a vast temperature range and yeast can survive if the temperature lies somewhere between zero to 47 degrees celsius.
But it is worth mentioning that no doubt yeast won’t die at a low temperature but it won’t be able to grow at low temperature.
Thus, at zero to 10 degrees centigrade yeast won’t grow. When the temperature increases from 10 degrees centigrade onwards until 37 degrees celsius, yeast will grow at a really fast rate with the increase in temperature but within this limit. You should always remember that different species of yeast have different optimal temperatures at which they grow best at.
But when the temperature increases more than that then it will start to harm the yeast instead of doing any good and the activity of the yeast will also start to decrease. As soon as the temperature crosses 50 degrees centigrade, yeast begins to die, therefore care should be taken regarding the temperature range of the yeast.
When it comes to the yeast cells, they respire aerobically if there is sufficient oxygen supply. But in the event that there isn’t sufficient oxygen present, at that point the process of fermentation will occur as the yeast cells need to respire anaerobically.
Now when the process of fermentation takes place, what happens is that it makes energy that is utilized by the yeast for the growth and development of its cells. At the point when yeast cells ferment they additionally produce ethanol (alcohol) as a by-product which plays an important role when it comes to the brewing industry.
In order to carry out the process of fermentation, yeast needs sugar as without sugar, the yeast cells would not have the option to respire at all.
So what happens is that yeast uses the sugar and breaks it down in the form of glucose during the process of fermentation.
What pH does yeast grow best?
When it comes to yeast it grows best in acidic conditions, thus, yeast needs an acidic pH for its optimal growth. Yeast grows best if the pH of the environment is 4-4.5.
You should keep in mind that if the pH of the solution moves towards basic, pH increases more than 7, the yeast won’t be able to grow properly. Thus, the yeast won’t grow properly in an alkaline environment.
Is unopened yeast safe to use after “best by date?
There must be written the “best by” or “best before date” written on the package of the yeast, but you should always keep one thing in mind that the “best before” or the “best by” dates are mainly focused on the quality rather than the safety.
Thus you will get the best quality of the yeast within the “best by” or “best before date” but you can still use the unopened, properly stored dry yeast even after some time from this date.
Tips to keep yeast fresh for a long time
- In the case of the unopened dry yeast, you should store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of your pantry or kitchen cabinet away from direct sunlight and heat.
- Once you have opened the package of the active yeast it is best to store it in a plastic zipper bag or an air-tight container so that no moisture will find its way to the yeast.
- It is worth mentioning that the sunlight, oxygen, and moisture can degrade the quality of the active yeast and can also shorten its shelf life therefore care should be taken while handling and storing active yeast.
- You should never store yeast in a humid environment.
- You should always store the opened yeast in an air-tight container or plastic zipper bag at or below 40 degrees centigrade in the refrigerator.
- You should not use a wet spoon to scoop out the dry yeast.
- Close the lid of the jar as soon as you scoop out the dry yeast so that the moisture won’t find its way into your yeast and spoil it.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “what temperature does yeast grow best” with an in-depth analysis of the temperature range at which yeast grows best. Moreover, we discussed the optimal pH for the best growth of the yeast along with the tips to store yeast to preserve its freshness for a long time.