In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “What is the difference between Shepherd’s pie and meat pie?” and the information on meat pie in detail.
What is the difference between Shepherd’s pie and meat pie?
Shepherd’s pie is often made with mashed potatoes, slow-cooked vegetables, and either beef or lamb. To prepare a meat pie, you will need some onion, ground beef, breadcrumbs, and several seasonings. Even though they are not often used in meat pies, mashed potatoes are frequently utilized as a topping for shepherd’s pies.
On the other hand, talking about the meat pies, the meat used in meat pies is often minced more finely than that used in shepherd’s pies. A greater variety of ingredients can be found in shepherd’s pie as opposed to a meat pie.
What is meant by the term “Shepherd’s Pie”?
In a dish known as Shepherd’s Pie, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and ground beef are all incorporated. It is typically served with peas or other vegetables on the side, and they can either be included in the dish itself or delivered to the customer as a separate dish.
What precisely is a Meat Pie, though?
Meat pies are often consumed as a lunch for a single individual. When eaten for supper, the pie, on the other hand, provides a larger portion suitable for a family. A pie shell normally encases the filling, which consists of ground beef, onions, and seasonings. The pie crust is often unleavened and does not require any sort of resting time before being used.
How would you recommend making a beef pie from scratch?
The following steps need to be taken to make the beef pie:
- Prepare the oven by preheating it to 220 degrees Celsius and turning on all of the elements, including the top, bottom, and fan.
- Grease a large muffin pan with 12 cups or twelve pie pans measuring 8 centimeters by 11 centimeters in diameter.
- Prepare the oil by heating it in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. In a bowl, combine the garlic and onion. Keep cooking for another three minutes, or until the potatoes reach the desired degree of tenderness.
- Cook the ground meat until it acquires a browned color.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thyme, bay leaf, stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for one hour.
- After adding the cornflour paste and whisking it in with the meat mixture until it reaches the desired consistency, take it from the heat and leave it aside to cool.
- As a base, you can use pieces of shortcrust pastry that have been cut to fit the shape of the baking dish (cut out pastry 3cm larger in diameter than the pie pan diameter for the overhang). Arrange the dough in the prepared dish. Stuff with three tablespoons of minced beef. Coat the rims with a beaten egg.
- The tips of the puff pastry should be removed (use the diameter of the pie pans to cut around). Position atop the meat in the dish. To create a seal, apply hard pressure. Trim. Egg wash should be applied to the surface.
- Put the pies on a baking sheet that has been preheated. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a golden brown color has developed.
Where did the name “meat pie” come from in the first place?
Pies filled with meat date back to the Neolithic period, which began around 9500 BC. The ancient Egyptian diet included simple pies made from oat, wheat, rye, and barley, filled with honey, and baked over hot coals. These pies were considered a staple food. The Greeks used a paste made of flour and water that was similar to pie dough to encase the meat inside.
Is beef pie a meal that’s only found in Australia?
Despite Australia’s claims to the contrary, the origins of meat pies may be traced back to ancient Greece and Rome. This culinary combination of meat, sauce, and crust is said to have originated in Australia. There is certainly something to be said about the adoration that people in this nation have for meat pies. It’s not just a meal; it’s a way of life, and you can’t separate one from the other because they go hand in hand.
Is eating meat pies healthy for you?
Unfortunately, including meat pies consistently in your diet is not something that is encouraged. Typical serving size of meat pie has about 450 calories, but the main concern is that it has 12 grams of saturated fat, which is more than half of the amount of saturated fat that is advised for daily consumption. If you serve your supper with buttery mashed potatoes or chips on the side, the amount of fat that you consume during dinner will be significantly increased.
In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “What is the difference between Shepherd’s pie and meat pie?” and the information on meat pie in detail.