In this brief article, we will answer the question, “What is the difference between sauce and juice?” and methods to convert sauce into juice.
What is the difference between sauce and juice?
The difference between sauce and juice is that sauce is thicker while the juice is comparatively thinner.
The juice can contain a little bit of water naturally present or added to it which might contribute to its thinness. The sauce can be comparatively thicker with lesser water content.
What is sauce?
The sauce has a semi-liquid consistency and is used as a major part of the dish or as an accompaniment to enhance the food’s flavor. There are many popular sauces namely Tabasco, Harissa, Salsa, Worcestershire, Buffalo sauce, etc.
Depending on the ingredients and seasonings added to the sauce, the taste and consistency of the sauce would differ.
What is juice?
Juice is made through the removal of water from fruits or vegetables. As a result, they are thinner in texture. Juices can be added at the end of the dish as a garnish. For instance, lemon juice.
If juices are used in small amounts at the end of the dish, it can add a flavor to the dish. On the other hand, the sauce can be used as a main part of the dish or as a dressing too.
Juices can also be used to prepare sauces though it would take a long time to evaporate the water from the juice to make it a sauce. Juices of certain foods like meats can also be used to prepare sauces.
On the other hand, a sauce can be converted to juice by adding in a little amount of water to achieve the desired consistency. The best example of this scenario would be tomato juice and tomato sauce.
Juices can be consumed alone (fruit juices) or can be added to a dish (vegetable juices or meat juices).
How to convert tomato sauce to tomato juice?
There are two ways to prepare tomato juice. Using a strainer or using a food processor can help to convert a sauce into juice. Let us look at how to convert a sauce into a juice and then be used in a recipe.
Using a strainer
- In a mesh strainer, add a double layer of cheesecloth. Place the strainer containing cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the strainer. It is possible that it would be difficult to pour the sauce quickly. Using a spoon, gently stir the sauce in the strainer to squeeze out the juice.
- After you have removed the juice, take all the sides of the cheesecloth and tie them up, similar to a pouch.
- Squeeze the pouch and let the juice fall into the strainer. After you have repeated the process a few times, you can discard the paste or place them in the fridge, if you wish to use them later.
- In a container, pour the tomato juice for further storage or to use in your recipes.
Using a blender
Another method to prepare tomato juice is the blender or the food processor.
- Add water and tomato sauce into the blender in equal amounts. If you want 2 cups of tomato juice, then add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of tomato sauce.
- Blend the ingredients in the mixer thoroughly.
- Use a spoon and try to gently pour the juice to check the consistency of the juice. If you feel that the juice is still thick, continue blending further.
- Make sure to add salt, hot sauce, and herbs to the tomato juice to help in improving the taste of the juice further.
- If you wish to store tomato juice and then use them later, add them to cans or containers and place them in the fridge.
How can fruit juices be converted to a sauce?
You can prepare a fruity barbecue sauce particularly by using apple juice or any other juice.
- 150 ml fruit juice
- 60 ml cider vinegar
- 30 grams maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100 grams ketchup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil after stirring them well.
- Cook the mixture for a few minutes to make it slightly thicker.
- After you have felt that the mixture has thickened considerably, allow them to cool and then pour into jars.
- Place them in the fridge and use them whenever you require them.
Other FAQs on the sauce that you might be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “What is the difference between sauce and juice?” and methods to convert sauce into juice.