In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question” What is the difference between molasses and blackstrap molasses?” with an in-depth analysis of the methods of their preparation. Moreover, we are going to highlight the main differences between them and their benefits.
What is the difference between molasses and blackstrap molasses?
The production process of molasses and blackstrap molasses creates the main difference between them. Molasses are made out of sugarcane juices. To prepare molasses, sugarcane juice is boiled to concentrate and crystallize the sugar. In contrast, blackstrap molasses have undergone triple boiling and sugar extraction processes.
Both molasses and blackstrap molasses are the most known delicious and nutritious sweeteners. Both these molasses derive as a by-product of sugar production. But the main difference comes in their production processes. Both molasses and blackstrap molasses are not chemically related to each other. Molasses work as a natural sweetener. They are known as an excellent substitute for sugar and good for diabetes.
Molasses is known as extremely viscous syrup. It comes from earlier stages in sugarcane juice processing. To evaporate water, the sugarcane juice is clarified and boiled. It will turn the juice into thick cane syrup molasses.
We can use it as an ingredient in baking, marinades, rubs, and sauces, or even as a topping on toast or oatmeal. When we add it to cookies or bread, it makes them softer and crustier.
The leftover boiled sugarcane juice at the end of the sugar extraction process is called blackstrap molasses. Blackstrap molasses remains after the third time the sugarcane juice is boiled. The molasses obtained through this is highly concentrated. It is caramelized sugarcane juice from which all the extractable sugar has been removed.
Blackstrap molasses is highly caramelized, so it takes a long time to cook them. has been cooked the longest, which means that it is the most heavily caramelized. Blackstrap molasses contains high content of vitamins and minerals as compared to all the types of molasses.
Difference between Molasses and Blackstrap Molasses:
Molasses and Blackstrap molasses contain different properties and applications. These differences may include,
- Molasse is a thick, brown juice. It is leftover after the extraction of raw sugar during the refining process.
- Blackstrap molasses is a very thick, dark color, and bitter taste juice. It is remaining after maximum extraction of sugar from the raw product.
- Molasses have different types such as light and dark molasses, blackstrap molasses, and sulfured and un-sulfured molasses.
- Blackstrap molasses do not have any further groups as it is already a type of molasses.
Stage of Boiling:
- We can extract Molasses during the first, second, or third stage of boiling.
- Blackstrap molasses are extracted during the last mean third stage of boiling.
- Molasses have different colors. The color varies from one type to another.
- The color of Blackstrap molasses is dark black in comparison to all other molasses.
- The taste of molasses is different from one type to another.
- Blackstrap molasses have a bitter taste as compared to all other molasses.
- The texture of molasses is different from one type to another.
- Blackstrap molasses have a very thick texture as compared to all other molasses.
Vitamin and Mineral Content:
- The content of vitamins and minerals in molasses varies from one type to another.
- Blackstrap molasses have a high concentrated content of vitamins and minerals as compared to all other molasses.
Blackstrap molasses contain
- Calcium of 400 mg
- The iron of 13 mg
- Magnesium of 300 mg per 100g.
- Molasses are used for the following purposes;
- It is used for food product development and used as additives.
Molasses is used in barbecue sauces and bakery products cookies.
Chemical and Industrial Applications:
- Horticultural sector: Used as a soil additive
- We use Blackstrap molasses as a constituent of cattle feed and as a source of ethyl alcohol.
Molasses and Health benefits:
- Molasses is referred to as a healthy alternative to sugar.
- Blackstrap molasses usually contain more mineral content than plain sugar.
- Light and dark forms of molasses also contain minerals, although not as much as blackstrap. Most varieties of molasses don’t have much nutrition.
- Blackstrap also contains some nutrients. But the downside is that it has a bitter flavor, which makes it less likely to be called a sweetener.
- The content of vitamins and minerals present in natural sweeteners isn’t significantly different. They are healthy for human health.
Here, you can find the types of molasses.
In this brief guide, we answered the question” What is the difference between molasses and blackstrap molasses?” with an in-depth analysis of the methods of their preparation. Moreover, we highlighted the main differences between them and their benefits.