In this brief article, we are going to answer the question,”What is the difference between griddle and skillet?”, and discuss what a griddle is, and the advantages and disadvantages of griddle. We will also discuss what a skillet is, the types of skillet and the advantages and disadvantages of skillet.
What is the difference between griddle and skillet?
The difference between a griddle and a skillet is that, griddle is larger and rectangular in shape whereas the skillet is rounder and smaller.
Skillet has a flat surface whereas griddle has a raised surface which gives sear lines to food.
Griddles are difficult to use, while skillets are much easier to use. Griddles are used to shallow fry , saute and sear. Griddles are used to grill sandwiches, and BBQ’s.
What is a griddle?
A griddle is a kitchen appliance, usually a flat cooking surface rectangular or square shaped. Griddles are made of ceramic, non-stick aluminium, stainless steel, carbon steel and cast iron. The griddle pans can be used on all kinds of stoves, or on induction and in ovens.
The griddle pans that come flat are used for making pancakes, sausages and eggs. The pans that have raised surfaces are used gor grilling of steaks, BBQ’s and sandwiches, leaving behind sear marks. The raised bars also have a role in removing the unwanted extra fat from food.
What are the advantages of griddle pans?
- Griddles have a large surface area so they can accommodate more food which makes it useful at special occasions.
- The raised surfaces remove the extra fat or oil from food.
- It leaves behind sear marks as a proof that the food has properly been grilled.
- Griddle pans can withstand high temperatures. This can easily provide a smoky flavour and a bbq scent.
What are the disadvantages of griddle pans?
- They are hard to clean as the grease and food debris can accumulate in layers. This inturn carbonises into a tough layer making it difficult to clean.
- If the food is cooked without removing the hard layers of debris properly, the food will not be cooked evenly.
- Cooking in griddles produces a lot of smoke due to the use of high temperatures. It is therefore recommended that the griddles should be used in an outdoor setting.
What is a skillet?
A skillet is a cooking instrument for stir frying omelettes, crepes and more. They are kitchen pans having a flat bottom and slanted sides. The sides have handles and the skillet also ecompasses a lid. There are many variations in size and the material from which the skillet is made, and each kind excels in different cooking areas.
What are the types of skillets?
- Copper skillets – respond rapidly to temperature changes, are easy to control heat, and are used for quick searing, saute, frying, simmering and browning.
- Nonstick skillets – used for cooking delicate foods, or foods that have a chance to stick to surfaces, such as eggs. Nonstick skillets use less oil for cooking and are resistant to acid.
- Ceramic skillets – are made from non-stick coating of ceramic. It lessens the use of cooking oil or cooking sprays and is environmentally friendly. The pans work best at low-medium temperatures.
- Cast-Iron skillets – can hold high temperatures and is a good cooking instrument for roasting, frying, searing and baking.The cook ware is more durable, and can also bear more weight than other skillet types.
- Aluminium Skillets – are good conductors of heat and cook the food evenly. They are lightweight, affordable and easier to clean and use However, aluminium skillets can react with acids.
What are the advantages of skillets?
- They are portable.
- Skillets are easier to clean
- Skillets are affordable
- The heat is evenly distributed in skillets
What are the disadvantages of skillets?
- Skillets cannot leave sear marks as they do not have raised surfaces.
- Skillets cannot be used to cook outdoors because of their small surface areas which are not ideal to be used at higher temperatures.
- Skillets are not an ideal instrument for grilling
Other FAQs about Griddle that you may be interested in.
In this brief article, we answered the question,”What is the difference between griddle and skillet?”, and discussed what a griddle is, and the advantages and disadvantages of griddle. We also discussed what a skillet is, the types of skillet and the advantages and disadvantages of skillet.