In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “What is the best way to store rice” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store rice. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store rice.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
What is the best way to store rice?
The best way to store milled rice like white rice is to store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat in an air-tight container or resealable plastic bag.
On the other hand, the best way to store whole grain rice like brown rice is to store it in an air-tight container or resealable plastic zipper bag in the fridge. As brown rice has high oil content therefore refrigeration is recommended for it.
Alternate ways to store rice
Some other ways that you can use to store rice are given below
PET Bottles (Polyethylene terephthalate)
If you purchase rice per kilo, storing them will be easy. There are a lot of plastic bottles that are made from PET or Polyethylene terephthalate.
Soda bottles, jams, and even water bottles are made from PET. You can dry them out thoroughly and then put the excess uncooked rice inside but always remember to keep them away from direct light for better and longer storage.
Mylar Bags with Oxygen Absorbents
Mylar bags are common for food storage. They are made of a material called a clear ‘mylar’ that is laminated to an aluminum foil.
You can easily store your rice in mylar bags. They usually go along with oxygen absorbents to ensure the freshness and longevity of rice.
Resealable airtight containers/bags
If the above two options are not available, you can use any resealable containers as long as you ensure that the lids are secured and airtight.
So what you gotta do is to add your rice in the resealable air-tight bags, remove excess air out of it by gently pressing it, seal it and store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
Food-grade buckets are also safe to use when it comes to food storage. Simply add oxygen absorbents inside along with the rice and store them properly.
You can use any type of food-grade bucket by only making sure that you clean it out thoroughly or you can purchase a brand new one.
Tips to properly store rice
When it comes to the storage conditions, they play a really important role in determining the shelf life of the rice. Therefore you should always store your rice properly to preserve its freshness and quality for a long time.
- When it comes to the unopened packages of rice, you can store them in a cool, dry, and dark place away from direct sunlight and heat. It means that you can easily store the unopened pack of rice in a dry corner of your pantry or kitchen cabinet.
- In the case of the open rice, it is recommended to store your rice in an air-tight container or jar and store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of your pantry or kitchen cabinet to preserve its freshness for a long time.
- You should never store your rice in a humid environment as humidity is the enemy of the delicate flavors of rice and it can even spoil your rice (if rice is stored for too long in a humid environment and that too uncovered).
- Another thing that you should always remember is to never use wet cutlery to scoop out the rice.
- Do not unnecessarily open the lid of the rice jar or container and seal it again as soon as possible after scooping out the rice that you need.
- You can even store rice in sealed or airtight containers or plastic zipper bags in the fridge or freezer to prolong its shelf life.
You can read about different types of rice here.
Is it safe to use rice after the “best before” date?
The “best by” or “best before” date that is written on the package of rice refers to the quality rather than safety so the rice doesn’t necessarily go bad immediately after the best before date.
This date refers to the time during which you can enjoy the peak quality of rice but you can still use rice that is past this date as long as it was stored properly.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “What is the best way to store rice” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store rice. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store rice.