In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “What is the best way to store parmesan cheese” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store parmesan cheese. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store parmesan cheese.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
What is the best way to store parmesan cheese?
The best way to store parmesan cheese is to put the parmesan cheese wedges/slices in a resealable plastic zipper bag or wrap them in parchment paper individually (for extra protection you can further wrap them in aluminum foil) and store them in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Keep an eye on the parmesan cheese while it is resting in the fridge. Examine the parmesan cheese wedge’s surface and edges and if you notice any mold growth, cut out the cheese at least 1 inch around and below the mold and discard it. Care should be taken while cutting out the mold and the knife should never touch the mold.
Long storage of parmesan cheese
In case you are not going to devour parmesan cheese within a few weeks then you go ahead and freeze them. Frozen parmesan cheese stays good for about 12-18 months. The cold temperature of the freezer stops bacterial growth on parmesan cheese, preserving its quality for a long time.
To store the parmesan cheese in the freezer, it is recommended to cut it in the form of slices or wedges and store those wedges individually by wrapping them in heavy-duty aluminum foil, plastic freezer bag, or plastic freezer wrap.
Furthermore, in the case of parmesan cheese slices, you can insert parchment paper or wax paper between the parmesan cheese slices to keep them from sticking together in the freezer.
On the other hand, you can also store the grated parmesan cheese in the freezer in the plastic freezer bag.
You can either thaw the frozen parmesan cheese by leaving it in the fridge overnight or you can directly add it to the recipe while cooking.
What to do if the parmesan cheese rind has started to thicken?
When cheese is exposed to air, it may begin to turn white or the rind may begin to thicken. If this is the case with your Parmesan cheese, a simple procedure can be employed to bring it back to life and make it ready for your next recipe.
Soak cheesecloth in water for a few minutes, then wring it out until it’s just damp. Wrap the Parmesan cheese in a moist cloth, then in plastic wrap.
Place it in the fridge overnight. When you remove the cloth the next day, the cheese will be fresh and ready to use.
You can read parmesan vs cottage cheese here.
Tips to properly store parmesan cheese
- Unopened grated parmesan cheese that is sold unrefrigerated can be stored in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat for quite a while. You can even refrigerate it to prolong its shelf life.
- Unopened or opened parmesan cheese that is sold refrigerated should be stored in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The parmesan cheese should be stored wrapped in parchment or wax paper in an air-tight container or a plastic zipper bag in the fridge at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is recommended to store your parmesan cheese on the lowest shelf of the refrigerator as it is the coldest part of the refrigerator and has its temperature between 38 °F to 40 °F.
- If you have a lot of parmesan cheese and you are not going to use it for a few weeks, then it is better to freeze it to preserve its quality for a long time.
Is it safe to use parmesan cheese after the “best before” date?
The “best by” or “best before” date that is written on the package of store-bought parmesan cheese refers to the quality rather than safety so the parmesan cheese doesn’t necessarily go bad immediately after the best before date.
This date refers to the time during which you can enjoy the peak quality of parmesan cheese but you can still use parmesan cheese that is past this date as long as it was stored properly.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “What is the best way to store parmesan cheese” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store parmesan cheese. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store parmesan cheese.