In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “What is the best way to store baking soda” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store baking soda. Moreover, we are going to discuss tips to properly store baking soda and the mode of action of baking soda.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
What is the best way to store baking soda?
The best way to store an unopened pack of baking soda is to store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
On the other hand, once you have opened the pack of baking soda, it is recommended to transfer the leftover baking soda to an air-tight container and store it in a cool, dry, and dark corner of the pantry away from direct sunlight and heat.
Baking soda can last for about 2-3 years if stored properly.
Tips to properly store baking soda
- Moisture is an enemy of the freshness and quality of the baking soda therefore baking soda should be kept in air-tight containers or air-tight jars to reduce its exposure to air.
- Do not store your baking soda in a humid environment.
- You should store baking soda away from direct sunlight.
- Baking soda should be kept in a cool, dry, and dark place. A cool and dry corner of your pantry can serve this purpose nicely.
- Do not unnecessarily open the lid of the baking soda jar or container and seal it again as soon as possible after scooping out the baking soda that you need.
- Once you have opened the package of baking soda, it is recommended to transfer the rest of the baking soda to an air-tight container.
- You should never use a wet spoon to scoop out the baking soda from the container.
- Always use a dry clean spoon to scoop out baking soda from its container.
- Close the lid of the baking soda container as soon as you are done scooping out the amount of baking soda that you need.
- As baking soda can absorb odor therefore it is recommended to store baking soda in an air-tight container or resealable plastic zipper bags away from spices and strong-smelling foods.
Is it safe to use baking soda after the “best before” date?
The “best by” or “best before” date that is written on the package of baking soda refers to the quality rather than safety so the baking soda doesn’t necessarily go bad immediately after the best before date.
This date refers to the time during which you can enjoy the peak quality of baking soda but you can still use baking soda that is past this date as long as it was stored properly.
Mode of action of baking soda
Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate and is a white crystalline powder that has a wide array of uses ranging from baking and cooking (as a leavening agent) to cleaning and it is also used as an odor absorber and stain remover.
While specifically talking about the mode of action of baking soda in baking and cooking, when it mixes with any acidic substance, being an alkali, it reacts with the acid and liberates carbon dioxide.
This gas is responsible for that risen and fluffy texture of the bread, cookies, etc. that you add baking soda to. Moreover, this is the very reason that many recipes call for adding lemon juice or buttermilk in them.
Uses of baking soda
Baking soda can be used 2 deal with many problems. It is effective against heartburn by neutralizing the stomach acid. For this, you just need to dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of cold water and drink the mixture slowly.
Maintain oral hygiene
It can also be used to maintain oral hygiene just like mouthwash. To make mouthwash from baking soda, add this spoon of baking soda in half glass of warm water and then swish as usual.
Sometimes, small sores appear inside your mouth that are painful and can easily be traded through the use of this baking soda. It can also be used to make your teeth white and your sweat odorless.
Furthermore, it can also be effective against itchy skin and sunburns and is involved in delaying the progression of many diseases, especially chronic conditions, including kidney disease and cancer development. This effective agent can be used for many more purposes that are even difficult to describe.
You can read about baking soda cleaning hacks here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “What is the best way to store baking soda” with an in-depth analysis of the best way to store baking soda. Moreover, we discussed tips to properly store baking soda and the mode of action of baking soda.