In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question” What is sweetened condensed milk?” with an in-depth analysis of the methods of its making. Moreover, we are going to highlight its nutritional facts and advantages and disadvantages.
What is sweetened condensed milk?
Sweetened condensed milk is an ingredient that is found in innumerable desserts and candies, as well as creamy beverages. Condensed milk is sold in cans. It is shelf-stable.
Sweetened condensed milk is often referred to simply as condensed milk. It is a product made by gently heating whole milk. Heat the milk until about 60 percent of the water has evaporated. Then add sugar to a ratio of about 45 percent (by weight) of the remaining milk. As a result, you’ll get a thick, sweet, sticky mixture.
Sweetened condensed milk is used in all kinds of recipes, including baked goods, candies, desserts, drinks, and even marinades. The evaporation process while making milk also causes some of the natural sugars in the milk to caramelize. It will bring a new dimension of flavor.
You can use sweetened condensed milk in baking, including cookies and bars like brownies and blondies, cakes, and pies. It is also used to make candies, fudge, puddings, frostings, toppings, and even ice cream.
Sweetened condensed milk is high in sugar. Sweetened condensed milk contains some protein and fat, as well as a range of vitamins and minerals.
2 tablespoons (1 ounce or 30 ml) of sweetened condensed milk contains:
- Calories: 90
- Carbs: 15.2 grams
- Fat: 2.4 grams
- Protein: 2.2 grams
- Calcium: 8% of Daily Value (DV)
- Phosphorus: 10% of (RDI) the Reference Daily Intake
- Selenium: 7% of the RDI
- Riboflavin (B2): 7% of the RDI
- Vitamin B12: 4% of the RDI
- Choline: 4% of the RDI
How to make sweetened condensed milk?
We use cow’s milk to make sweetened condensed milk. It is first condensed by removing the water. After removing water, it is sweetened by adding sugar (hence the name), resulting in a very sweet, thick mixture with an off-white color.
Long shelf life:
- Due to the sugar which is added to sweetened condensed milk, it lasts a lot longer than regular milk.
- You can store it in cans for very long periods without refrigerating it. You can store it in cans for up to a year.
- Once you have opened the can, you must keep it in the fridge. Then its shelf life will be dramatically reduced to around two weeks.
- You should always check the instructions given on your can to maximize freshness.
Provides extra calories and protein:
- Sweetened condensed milk contains high-calorie content. It makes sweetened condensed milk an excellent ingredient for people who are trying to gain weight.
- If you fortify your morning oatmeal with just 2 tablespoons (1 ounce or 30 ml) of sweetened condensed milk, it means you are adding an extra 90 calories and 2 grams of protein to your meal.
- Sweetened condensed milk is used to boost the calorie content. This is more beneficial than using sugar alone since the product also provides extra protein, fat, and some bone-healthy minerals like calcium and phosphorus.
There are some downsides to sweetened condensed milk.
High in calories:
- The high number of calories in a small volume of sweetened condensed milk can be either positive or negative, depending on your needs.
- For people trying to gain weight, it can be an excellent tool, but for those trying to lose weight, it may provide additional and unnecessary calories.
Not suitable for people with milk or lactose intolerance:
- Cow’s milk is used to make sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened condensed milk contains both milk proteins and lactose.
- If you have a milk protein allergy or are lactose intolerant, then you should not use this milk. This product is unsuitable for you.
- Sweetened condensed milk is not suitable for people with lactose intolerance or milk intolerance can tolerate small amounts of lactose spread throughout the day.
How to use it?
- Sweetened condensed milk is used all over the world. It is used in a variety of different foods and drinks, including baked goods, sweet-savory casseroles, and even coffee.
- It is used as an excellent ingredient in desserts due to its thick and creamy texture and sweet taste.
- Sweetened condensed milk is added to the coffee all over Southeast Asia. It is added to both hot and cold coffee to add flavor.
- You can make ice cream and cakes. You can also add it to certain sweet-savory stews and soups to make them more creamy.
Here, you can find substitutes for sweetened condensed milk.
In this brief guide, we answered the question” What is sweetened condensed milk?” with an in-depth analysis of the methods of its making. Moreover, we highlighted its nutritional facts and advantages and disadvantages.