In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “What is sauerkraut good for?” with an in-depth analysis of its health benefits. Moreover, we are going to highlight its nutrition facts.
What is sauerkraut good for?
Sauerkraut is incredibly nutritious and healthy. It provides you with probiotics and vitamin K2. These are popular for their health benefits, and many other nutrients.
Sauerkraut may help you to strengthen your immune system. It can improve your digestion. It can also reduce your risk of certain diseases, and even lose weight.
What is sauerkraut?
Sauerkraut is also known as a sour cabbage. It is essentially fermented cabbage. Its origin is China. It originated more than 2,000 years ago. The process of fermentation initiates beneficial probiotics, or ‘live bacteria’, and it’s these probiotics, along with the process of fermentation that makes sauerkraut such a healthy choice.
May support the immune system:
- Gut-supporting properties of sauerkraut may also be beneficial for your immune system, as you know most of our immune system is located in our gut
- Good bacteria or probiotics present in sauerkraut can help to keep the lining of your digestive system healthy.
- If your immune system has a strong gut lining, it helps you to stop any unwanted substances or toxins from ‘leaking’ into your body and thereby causing an immune response. These bacteria can help you in supporting natural antibodies. In this way, they reduce your risk of infections.
- If you have one serving of sauerkraut, then it means it has two grams of fiber. Fiber is a nutrient known to help with digestion.
- For people who are facing constipation, the fiber in their body increases the weight and size of their stool and softens it. It will make it easy to pass the stool from the body.
- For people who are facing diarrhea, the fiber present in their bodies can absorb excess water and solidify their stool. Sauerkraut’s fiber content makes this food so good for digestion.
- Sauerkraut is also packed with probiotics.
- Probiotics can improve your overall gut health. This combination makes sauerkraut an excellent food to help in the digestion process.
Promote weight loss:
- Obesity usually affects more than 40% of American adults. It can increase the risks of heart disease, digestive problems, and type 2 diabetes.
- There are multiple reasons sauerkraut can help you in losing weight.
- Sauerkraut has a low high content of calories and fiber.
- These can help you feel full longer.
- Calories and fibers can help you to reduce the amount of food you eat in a day.
- It Can help you to fill your belly without leaving you feeling hungry.
May reduce the risk of cancer:
- Sauerkraut is rich in compounds like sulforaphane.
- Cabbage is a valuable vegetable that you can add to your diet. These beneficial compounds can help you to prevent oxidative damage.
- They act in a protective way against cancer including colorectal cancer.
- Similarly, fermented cabbage and its juices appear to play an effective role
Sauerkraut is a good source of nutrients.
Nutrients per serving:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K1
A half-cup serving of canned sauerkraut contains:
- Calories: 16
- Fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
- Sodium:219 milligrams
- Carbohydrates :3 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Protein :1 gram
Sauerkraut is filled with vitamins and nutrients. It has low contents of calories and fat. If you’re trying to lose weight, then it can be tempting to load up on sauerkraut.
How to eat sauerkraut?
You can purchase it in a canned or jarred form in most grocery stores. It’s generally used as a condiment. It is used to add a unique flavor to foods. You can also eat it as a side dish or healthy snack.
Some ideas for using sauerkraut include:
- On a sandwich
- On a hotdog
- As a dip for chips
- On avocado toast
- In deviled eggs
- On to a burrito
Sauerkraut is also called fermented cabbage. It is loaded with vitamins C and K, iron, and fiber. Sauerkraut naturally contains healthy gut bacteria called probiotics.
If you are eating foods like sauerkraut, then they can help in enhancing the health of your digestive system. They can do so by optimizing our gut flora and balancing our gut microbiome.
You can add sauerkraut to your green salads. You can also use it as a topping on burgers.
Here, you can find how much sauerkraut you should eat in a day.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “What is sauerkraut good for?” with an in-depth analysis of its health benefits. Moreover, we highlighted its nutrition facts.