In this brief guide, we will address the query, “What is cilantro used for?” We will also discuss the different ways cilantro is used in cooking, how it is used for weight loss, and how to store them. Moreover, we will also describe the role of cilantro as a medicinal herb.
What is cilantro used for?
Cilantro is most commonly used as a flavoring herb and garnish. It can be used in different ways while cooking and after cooking.
How is cilantro used in cooking?
- Chopped cilantro can be added to your soups, stews, curries, and gravies at the last minute for extra flavors.
- Toss it in your rice recipes for extra flavors and an attractive look.
- Use it in your dressings.
- You can also add chopped cilantro to any stir-fried recipes. It goes well with potatoes.
- You can sprinkle some chopped cilantro as a garnish basically in everything so you may or may not add it to your dishes according to your preference.
- It is also used in making refreshing drinks.
- Add cilantro to your garlic bread recipe for a better taste.
- You can make coriander juice out of fresh coriander. This is also said to be very helpful in losing weight.
- Cilantro combined with mint leaves can make great chutney and spicy dips for your snacks.
- They are also used in different sour and spicy street foods like panipuri, Dahi puri, chaat, etc.
- You can also use cilantro to flavor your oil along with other herbs.
Can cilantro be used for weight loss?
Yes, coriander seeds and cilantro are used for healthy weight loss. Here’s how you can make a cilantro drink for weight loss:
- Leave about 10-20 coriander leaves to soak in water overnight.
- Separate the leaves and drink the water solution the next morning on an empty stomach.
- Wash the coriander leaves properly and grind them in a blender.
- Add half a cup of lukewarm water, a tablespoon of lemon juice, or honey according to your preference.
- Drink this juice on an empty stomach every morning.
How to use cilantro for making chutney?
Cilantro chutney is an easy vegan sauce that can be prepared with limited ingredients like cilantro, lemon, cumin powder, chilies. ginger, garlic, etc. Here’s how you can make coriander chutney at home:
- Prepare your coriander leaves along with the tender stems, chilies, ginger, and garlic by thoroughly rinsing them with water.
- Add one cup of chopped fresh cilantro, one teaspoon of chopped ginger and garlic each, and 1 chopped green chili. You can add more chilies if you like your chutney extra spicy.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of cumin powder, and a few pinch of salt according to your taste. You can also add chaat masala for extra tanginess.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of water and blend all the ingredients until it forms a smooth paste. Check for the seasonings and your chutney is ready to be served.
How to store cilantro after using it?
Unlike coriander seeds or ground coriander, cilantro doesn’t have a very long shelf life, they have to be stored in a refrigerator carefully for longer storage. The best way to keep the greens alive is by storing them in a cool and moist place.
Usually, even if you store it in a refrigerator, fresh coriander cannot last for more than 5 days. Here’s how you can store fresh cilantro to extend its shelf life:
- Line a container with a moist towel.
- Place the cilantro on top of the moist towel and cover it with another moist towel.
- Close the lid of the container and place it in your fridge.
- Make sure to change the moist towel inside the container every 2-3 days to ensure the cilantro stays fresh.
What are the uses of cilantro as a medicinal herb?
Cilantro is not just used in the culinary world but it also has many medicinal properties. The uses of cilantro as a medicinal herb are:
- It is used in Ayurveda to aid in many digestive problems.
- It is also effectively used in treating urinary tract problems and infections.
- It also fights against the free radicals that damage the skin.
- Its antifungal and antimicrobial elements also act as a disinfectant and detoxifier which is also known to treat eczema.
- The antioxidants found in cilantro help reduce inflammation in the body by binding to and suppressing inflammation-promoting molecules known as free radicals.
- It is also used to enhance your skin and hair health. For more details, please click the link here.
In this brief guide, we have addressed the query, “What is cilantro used for?” We have also discussed the different ways cilantro is used in cooking, how it is used for weight loss, and how to store them. Moreover, we have also described the role of cilantro as a medicinal herb.