What happens if you swallow a safety pin?

In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a safety pin?” and the way to treat the concern.

What happens if you swallow a safety pin?

Needles and exposed safety pins are often ingested by people accidentally. The use of an over-tube is necessary to remove an open safety pin in an adult patient. This instrument, on the other hand, is much too large for youngsters. Needles are difficult to remove from the body because they are held in a horizontal position when grasped with forceps.

The following technique has been successfully used to remove needles and open safety pins from the stomach with little complications.

Insert a #16 French (Davol Inc.) rubber rectal tube into the stomach via the mouth and swallow it. Insert the scope into the stomach and use rat tooth forceps to grasp the needle’s body with the forceps in place. Insert a long WV or rat tooth forceps through the rectal tube and grasp the needle’s eye with the forceps. Inspect the rectal canal carefully after extricating the body and inserting the needle. Using your hands, carefully remove the scope and rectal tube. A safety pin may be opened by grabbing its body using rat tooth forceps and yanking as close to the lock as possible. Snare the rectal tube and wrap it around the exposed end of the safety pin to secure it. Allowing the snare to tighten slowly until the pin is firmly fastened Grab the eye or round part of the safety pin with rat tooth forceps and pull both tubes out at the same time using the forceps.

In what situation might an object be swallowed?

The Harvard School of Public Health, located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, is a public health institution.

Among the things that young children, as well as older children and adults, may eat are toys, coins, safety pins, buttons, bones, wood, glass, magnets, battery packs, and other little items. Many of these compounds pass entirely through the digestive system within 24 to 48 hours without causing any harm to the individual.

But if the objects are held captive for a long time, whether they are sharp or magnetic, or if they are contaminated with caustic chemicals, problems may arise. Esophageal rips (tears in the tube that connects the mouth and the stomach), migration of the object into the esophageal tissue, and infection are all possible complications of this procedure. Small magnets may prove to be a fascinating and challenging task. When consumed in large enough amounts, they have the potential to bond to one another and erode through tissue.

For objects to get lodged in the esophagus, the following are the three most likely places to find them:

  • The area immediately behind the collarbones is the most often encountered (clavicles).
  • Located in the center of the chest
  • Right below the rib cage, just before the esophagus meets the stomach
  • Additional items may get stuck in any damaged region of the esophagus, causing it to rupture.

Diagnosis

After evaluating your child and learning about his or her recent medical history, the doctor may decide to order an X-ray to assist in the search for the missing item. Certain items are invisible to an X-ray because they are made of a different material. If the X-ray does not show the object, but the child’s symptoms and circumstances suggest that it is there, a computed tomography (CT) scan or another kind of radiologic testing may be required to confirm the presence of the item.

Prevention

Make sure there is a safe distance between small things like coins, pins, magnets, small toy components, batteries, and other small objects and children, especially those under the age of 3.

Treatment

If your child eats an unusual meal, get medical attention as soon as possible and follow these steps:

  • Don’t make any attempts to get the child to throw up.
  • Take no action if you are frightened.
  • Make no assumptions regarding whether or not surgery is required. The digestive system is capable of absorbing the vast majority of the chemicals it comes into contact with. Surgery to remove foreign objects from the body is a relatively rare operation.
  • Use extreme care while removing the object from the room. This has the potential to cause further damage.
  • Occasionally, a surgical or endoscopic procedure is required to remove the object. This operation is carried out while the patient is under anesthesia.

In What Situations Should You Seek Professional Assistance?

If your child has swallowed a smooth object the size of a quarter and is not showing any signs of illness, contact your doctor to decide the best course of action to take. Waiting and seeing how the item naturally goes through your digestive system may be an option. Contact your doctor if, after 24 to 48 hours, you have not found the item in the toilet or your child’s diaper, or if your child is exhibiting symptoms associated with a lodged object in his or her body.

Conclusion

In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a safety pin?” and the way to treat the concern.

Reference

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=bo1010
https://www.nature.com/articles/pr1996874
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Vijayawada/Doctors-remove-safety-pin-from-infant%E2%80%99s-stomach/article14249457.ece
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/article-abstract/1175435
https://www.longdom.org/proceedings/open-safety-pin-ingestion-in-a-13montholdboy-it-can-be-spontaneously-eliminated-or-not-31202.html
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3277877/
https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/swallowed-object.html

Hello, I am Medhavi Singh. I am a PhD Scholar in the field of Food Science and Nutrition. I'm a skilled professional in Nutrition and Food technology. I love baking and writing food blogs, and in future, I want to become a Food Scientist.