What happens if you swallow a quarter?

In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a quarter?” and the ways to handle this situation in the case of children.

What happens if you swallow a quarter?

If you swallow a quarter or any other foreign object, you may feel apprehensive about the situation. Because of its round form and soft edges, a coin or a small penny will pass through on its own about 80 percent to 90 percent of the time, and will eventually emerge with stool. Within a day or two, the penny has completed its journey through the digestive system and has been expelled. 

My child ingested a penny: What to do?

After passing through the neck and stomach, the coin should be removed within 4-5 days, with most cases occurring within two days after placement. A coin struck in the stomach or chest may cause stomach or chest pain, drooling, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and fever, among other symptoms. In any of these circumstances, take the child to the hospital as soon as possible and follow the doctor’s directions.

What Takes Place When a Child Consumes a Penny?

If there are any signs that a coin or foreign object has been put, you must refrain from doing so.

  • Make a concerted attempt to get the child to throw up.
  • Give the child a drink or something to eat to keep him occupied.
  • If your child eats a penny or anything else that is soft, small, smooth, and non-toxic, the following steps should be done immediately:
  • Every two to three days over the next two to three days, check his feces for signs of infection. This is done by squeezing and spraying the feces with hot water after they have been a strain. You will be able to rest certain that the foreign substance you swallowed was harmless and that you will no longer be worried.
  • While their child is engaged in the coin swallowing activity, parents must keep a careful watch on him or her.

Make sure to feed him fibrous, soft foods. Bananas are a great method to help your child’s digestive system work more efficiently.

Ascertain that your child is consuming enough amounts of water and being hydrated. Because a properly hydrated body functions regularly, your child will have no trouble passing the feces that contain the coins in question.

Coins that have been swallowed are treated and extracted.

Even if your child shows no symptoms of pain, you must seek medical care if the coin does not come out after trying all of the above methods and remains in the body for longer than 48 hours after being placed there.

Consult with your doctor and get medical care if necessary. The doctor may suggest you wait longer, or he or she may prescribe medicine to help your child pass the coin through their system. As an added precaution, your child’s stomach will be X-rayed to identify the exact position of the coin in his or her stomach, which will confirm that the object eaten by your child was a coin. 

A penny, on the other hand, does not have to be removed via medical means. A medical professional may suggest an endoscopy if the swallowed object is not a coin but rather anything sharp that has the potential to damage or puncture your child’s gastrointestinal system.

Precautionary measures and recommendations for safety and prevention

The following are some measures you should take to prevent encountering such circumstances.

  • Do not prevent your child from engaging in money play, even if the money takes the form of banknotes. Money is also a bad habit for children to get into since it passes through so many hands and includes millions of bacteria and germs during the process.
  • Do not allow your child to participate in any other kind of play except big object play. Dolls, cars, and other toys with removable parts may be swallowed by your child and get stuck in his or her digestive tract as a result of the trauma. Because the danger of inhaling anything is very great, extreme care should be used.
  • Take extra precautions before letting your child play in the backyard. Take, for example, if you take your child to a garden and he finds a big, fat caterpillar racing over the grass, he may decide to feed the caterpillar to himself.
  • A child’s natural tendency is to sit and observe with all of his or her senses stimulated and engaged. Your child will investigate things with his or her creative senses and may want to undertake a more in-depth examination with his or her taste buds as part of the research. Consequently, it is even more important for parents to avoid putting tiny, fragile objects within their children’s reach.

Conclusion

In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a quarter?” and the ways to handle this situation in the case of children.

Reference

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/ss/slideshow-swallowed-objects
https://www.childrens.com/health-wellness/what-to-do-if-your-child-swallows-an-object
https://www.sharp.com/health-news/my-kid-swallowed-a-coin-now-what.cfm
https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/swallowed-quarter
https://www.mkis.edu.my/index.php/health-service/93-health-articles/237-when-your-child-swallows-a-coin