What happens if you swallow a $2 coin?

In this short article, we will provide an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a $2 coin?” and the time is taken by a penny to pass through the stool.

What happens if you swallow a $2 coin?

If you swallow a $2 coin, you may have excessive salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting, as well as neck discomfort and chest pain or coughing if the coin gets stuck in the esophagus. These are also very worrisome, and the child should be sent to the nearest emergency hospital as soon as possible.

What is the minimum amount of time required to pass a coin through the toilet?

If your child swallows a coin or any other foreign object, you may feel apprehensive about the situation. Because of its round form and soft edges, a coin or a small penny will pass through on its own about 80 percent to 90 percent of the time, and will eventually emerge with stool. Within a day or two, the penny has completed its journey through the digestive system and has been expelled. However, you must keep a careful eye on your child. 

Coins that have been swallowed are treated and extracted.

Even if your child shows no symptoms of pain, you must seek medical care if the coin does not come out after trying all of the above methods and remains in the body for longer than 48 hours after being placed there.

Consult with your doctor and get medical care if necessary. The doctor may suggest you wait longer, or he or she may prescribe medicine to help your child pass the coin through their system. As an added precaution, your child’s stomach will be X-rayed to identify the exact position of the coin in his or her stomach, which will confirm that the object eaten by your child was a coin. 

A penny, on the other hand, does not have to be removed via medical means. A medical professional may suggest an endoscopy if the swallowed object is not a coin but rather anything sharp that has the potential to damage or puncture your child’s gastrointestinal system.

Precautionary measures and recommendations for safety and prevention

The following are some measures you should take to prevent encountering such circumstances.

  • Do not prevent your child from engaging in money play, even if the money takes the form of banknotes. Money is also a bad habit for children to get into since it passes through so many hands and includes millions of bacteria and germs during the process.
  • Do not allow your child to participate in any other kind of play except big object play. Dolls, cars, and other toys with removable parts may be swallowed by your child and get stuck in his or her digestive tract as a result of the trauma. Because the danger of inhaling anything is very great, extreme care should be used.
  • A child’s natural tendency is to sit and observe with all of his or her senses stimulated and engaged. Your child will investigate things with his or her creative senses and may want to undertake a more in-depth examination with his or her taste buds as part of the research. Consequently, it is even more important for parents to avoid putting tiny, fragile objects within their children’s reach.

A Penny was swallowed by my child, and the two of them have been inseparable ever then!

If the coin has made its way into the neck and stomach, it should be expelled within two days after being lodged there. A coin struck in the stomach or chest may cause stomach or chest pain, drooling, trouble swallowing, vomiting, and fever, among other symptoms. In any of these circumstances, take the child to the hospital as soon as possible and follow the doctor’s directions.

If your child eats a penny or anything else that is soft, small, smooth, and non-toxic, the following steps should be done immediately:

Every two to three days over the next two to three days, check his feces for signs of infection. This is done by squeezing and spraying the feces with hot water after they have been a strain. You will be able to rest certain that the foreign substance you swallowed was harmless and that you will no longer be worried.

Make sure to feed him fibrous, soft foods. Bananas are a great method to help your child’s digestive system work more efficiently.

Assure that your child drinks enough water to keep himself or herself hydrated. The body functions more effectively when it is properly hydrated, and your child will have no trouble passing feces that include coins.

Conclusion

In this short article, we provided an answer to the question “what happens if you swallow a $2 coin?” and the time is taken by a penny to pass through the stool.

Reference

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/ss/slideshow-swallowed-objects
https://www.childrens.com/health-wellness/what-to-do-if-your-child-swallows-an-object
https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/swallowed-quarter
https://www.mkis.edu.my/index.php/health-service/93-health-articles/237-when-your-child-swallows-a-coin

Hello, I am Medhavi Singh. I am a PhD Scholar in the field of Food Science and Nutrition. I'm a skilled professional in Nutrition and Food technology. I love baking and writing food blogs, and in future, I want to become a Food Scientist.