What happens if you eat mouldy blueberries? 

In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “What happens if you eat mouldy blueberries?”. We will further discuss what must be done when you find mouldy blueberries and ways to minimise mould growth. 

What happens if you eat mouldy blueberries?

If you eat mouldy blueberries, you may get sick. That is because mould can grow undetected deep inside the delicate flesh of the blueberries. In consequence, consuming mouldy blueberries raises the risk of allergies and other respiratory problems.

Why does mould grow on blueberries?

Since mould thrives best in damp, warm organic matter, blueberries are frequently the perfect growing medium. They have a high water content, so are more prone to mould growth. 

Moulds form multicellular, thread-like structures when they grow. Their colour comes from the spores they generate, typically green, white, black, or grey.

Although mould is just noticeable on the surface, its threads might go really deep into the flesh of blueberries. 

Can you get sick from eating mouldy blueberries?

Yes! Blueberries that have mould on them are likely to be old, have fewer nutrients, and taste rotten. Mouldy blueberries can be dangerous for your health as they possess mycotoxins, which are toxic substances that can make you sick.

Eating mouldy blueberries can result in symptoms such as diarrhoea, stomach cramps, fever, vomiting, and nausea.

Eating mouldy blueberries can also induce allergic reactions and respiratory problems in individuals already susceptible to these conditions. People who suffer from mould allergies may encounter an allergic reaction if they consume blueberries that have been exposed to mould. 

However, a little bit of mould will not harm someone who is not sensitive or allergic to it.

What must be done if you find mouldy blueberries?

Blueberries are sweet and healthy fruits, however, oftentimes they can get mould on them before you get to eat them. The United States Department of Agriculture has warned against eating mouldy blueberries. 

Blueberries have a shorter shelf life and are susceptible, though they are generally safe to consume. 

If you find mouldy blueberries:

  • Do not discard the entire container of blueberries if 1 or 2 blueberries have mould on them. Only discard the ones that have come into contact with mouldy blueberries in the container.
  • Go through the blueberry container thoroughly and toss any that have gone bad. Blueberries get bruised and crushed readily, and when they have been under pressure, they can appear inedible.
  • Blueberries can be quickly cleaned and dried by simply putting them down on a flat surface. However, if blueberries in the container have insects or are spoiling, throw them away.
  • Keep a lookout for mould and overly mushy blueberries before eating; otherwise, appropriately clean blueberries before consuming.

How to know if blueberries have gone bad? 

When mould grows on blueberries, it is usually noticeable by the naked eye, altering their appearance. Old blueberries turn mushy with a spongy surface with some bruises and brown spots. These are all symptoms of blueberries that have gone bad. You must toss out any blueberry that appears to be mouldy.

How to safely eat blueberries? 

People suggest washing blueberries just before eating them since moisture shortens their shelf life. However, blueberries transfer mould spores and spoil rapidly as a result.

Before consuming blueberries, bs sure they are without any mould, germs, and pesticides. The easiest way to get rid of them is to put the blueberries under running cold water while cleaning.

Still, you could also use vinegar to help accelerate the washing process. The vinegar-to-water percentage should be one-part vinegar to three-parts water (1:3) to assure that the mixture eradicates mould and germs effectively.

Blueberries usually last longer when kept on parchment paper or a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Protect the blueberries with a cleaned paper towel. Dry the blueberries evenly using a paper towel, if feasible, twisting them over.

What are the methods to minimise mould growth?

Cleanliness is the preliminary stage in controlling mould. Mould spores from infected items can collect in the refrigerator, dishcloths, and other utensils. Consider these steps to minimise mould development:

  • Cleanse the inside of the refrigerator after some time with one tablespoonful of baking soda mixed in one-quarter of water.
  • Wash with water and let it dry.
  • Scrape any visible mould on rubber casings using 3 teaspoonfuls of bleach in one quart of water.
  • Maintain proper cleaning of dishcloths, napkins, sponges, and dusters. A musty odour points to mould development. Toss any item you can’t clean. 

Other FAQs about Blueberries that you may be interested in.

Can you refreeze blueberries?

How long are blueberries good in the fridge?

Are blueberries berries?

Conclusion 

In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “What happens if you eat mouldy blueberries?”. We have further discussed what must be done when you find mouldy blueberries and ways to minimise mould growth. 

References 

https://www.foodnewsnews.com/news/what-happens-if-you-eat-moldy-blueberries/
https://iupilon.com/can-you-get-sick-from-eating-moldy-berries/
https://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/a26078857/what-happens-if-you-eat-mold/

Hi, I am Charlotte, I love cooking and in my previous life, I was a chef. I bring some of my experience to the recipes on this hub and answer your food questions.