In this article, we will answer the question “What happens If you eat expired Nutella?”, and how to store Nutella?
What happens If you eat expired Nutella?
Eating expired Nutella won’t make you sick unless the Nutella is spoiled. Nutella comes with a best-by date instead of an expiry date. This date does not indicate the product’s safety. Instead, It tells you how long the product will keep in its prime quality.
An unopened jar of Nutella would stay good about 1 month past the printed date If stored correctly. If the Nutella is past its best-by, inspect it for different quality parameters before consuming. If It smells rancid or develops mold, off-flavor, or off-color, It has gone bad.
How long does Nutella last?
It is advised to not use wet or used spoons to scoop out Nutella. This will introduce contaminants that will increase the degradation rate. Similarly, dipping fingers in the Nutella jar is not the way to go.
|In the pantry|
|Nutella(unopened)||6 months past the best-by date|
How to tell if Nutella is bad?
Accumulation of an oil layer on the top of Nutella is normal. Just stir the fat in the hazelnut spread using a clean spoon. This usually happens if the Nutella has been sitting for too long.
- Due to a high content of unsaturated fats, Nutella will turn rancid. If the spread gives off a sour or rancid taste or aroma, discard it. Rancid Nutella is not unsafe to eat but it is of no use from quality aspects. Bitter or unpleasant taste is a sure indication of spoiled Nutella.
- As time passes, Nutella will lose its creamy texture and nutty flavor. Bad Nutella will develop a hard texture. While it may be safe to eat, you can throw it for quality purposes.
- If any mold or bacterial growth appears on top of the spread or the cap of the jar, discard it immediately.
How to store Nutella?
Nutella should be kept in a dry, dark, and cool place. Temperatures from 18 to 20℃ are ambient to keep the Nutella spread safely. Therefore, it is best if you keep it in the pantry. Make sure the spread is not exposed to direct sunlight, heat from the stove, or moisture.
Refrigerating Nutella will extend its shelf-life but it will reduce its spreadability due to hardening. Once you have refrigerated Nutella, do not store it in the pantry. This will expose the Nutella to temperature fluctuations that might speed up the deterioration process.
Can you freeze Nutella?
Freezing Nutella is not recommended. Freezing damages the quality and texture of the hazelnut spread to a great extent.
It causes the separation of milk proteins and other solids from the oil. It will not get back to its creamy and smooth texture even after thawing.
If it is important to freeze Nutella, it is best to transfer the Nutella from the glass jar to a freezer bag. Label and bag and chuck it into the freezer.
How to make Nutella at home?
- 8 oz. hazelnuts
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp oil canola or coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven at 375℉ for about 20 minutes. Line a baking tray using a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Spread the hazelnuts on the tray evenly and roast for 12-15 minutes. After about 10 minutes, check to see if the nuts are browning evenly. Stir to prevent them from burning.
- Remove the roasted hazelnuts from the oven and spread them on a kitchen towel. Allow them to cool.
- When the nuts are cool to touch, gently rub them using the paper towel until the skin comes off from the seeds.
- In a food processor, add the dehusked and roasted hazelnuts and grind until finely ground. The nuts need to be processed until they start to release oil.
- Now add sugar and cocoa powder and process them with the liquified hazelnuts until homogenous.
- Add the salt and process for another 5 minutes. Do not forget to scrape the surface of the processor frequently to make sure the nuts are evenly ground and combined with the ingredients.
- Last but not the least, add chocolate chips and grind until combined. If the mixture feels clumpy, add vegetable oil like coconut oil until desired consistency is achieved.
- Using a spatula, transfer the spread from the processor into a sterilized jar. Keep it in the fridge for 1 week.
In this article, we answered the question “What happens If you eat expired Nutella?”, and how to store Nutella?