In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Where does cinnamon come from?” With an in-depth analysis of the uses and the nutritional value of the cinnamon. Moreover, we are going to discuss the health benefits, storage and shelf life of cinnamon.
Where does cinnamon come from?
Cinnamomum Verum is a tree which is found in Srilanka and Cinnamon comes from that tree. That’s why cinnamon comes from Srilanka.
How can you use cinnamon?
Cinnamomum is a bushy evergreen tree found in Sri Lanka and cinnamon is a spice which is obtained from that particular tree.
Cinnamon is a popular ingredient used in the preparation of bakery items and other wide ranges of food.
The essential oil which is used in the preparation of the food, liqueur, perfumes and drugs etc also comes from the extract of the cinnamon.
What do you know about the nutritional facts of cinnamon?
One tablespoon or 2.6 grams the grounded cinnamon powder, according to the U.S Department of Agriculture has the nutritional content as follows;
- energy: 6.42 calories
- carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- calcium: 26.1 milligrams (mg)
- iron: 0.21 mg
- magnesium: 1.56 mg
- phosphorus: 1.66 mg
- potassium: 11.2 mg
- vitamin A: 0.39 micrograms
How can cinnamon be added to your diet?
There are a variety of dishes that are made by using cinnamon in them, that’s why a variety of ways are available through which you can add cinnamon to your diet.
Some of the ways for adding the cinnamon into your diet are as follows;
- Cinnamon can be sprinkled over the oatmeal as an alternative to the sugar.
- Cinnamon is also added to the cakes, bread and apple sauce and gives them a spicy flavour of it.
- Cinnamon can also be used in the preparation of the waffles by topping the waffles using cinnamon and apple. In this way, your waffles will become less sugary.
There are several recipes in which cinnamon is added. Some of such recipes are given here.
What are the health benefits that you can obtain from cinnamon?
If you add cinnamon to your detour you can obtain a wide range of health benefits from cinnamon.
Some of the health benefits of the cinnamon are given below;
- Cinnamon helps you in fighting against various fungal infections.
- It also helps you in regulating the sugar level in your blood. In this way, it protects you against heart diseases.
- It has been shown in the studies that the food having cinnamon in it can protect you from HIV or fight against HIV disease.
- ppts used to be present in the bark of the cinnamon that helps you in protecting against Alzheimer’s disease.
- It lowers the body’s negative response to eating high_fat meals because of the presence of the antioxidants in the cinnamon.
- Cinnamon is also used in the production of medicines and helps in treating ds and healing them.
Does cinnamon spicy go bad?
Usually, cinnamon has a longer shelf life and doesn’t expire if you have properly stored it.
But it can spoil if not stored properly, that’s why it is necessary to check the cinnamon before using it to see whether it is edible or not.
You can easily know that your cinnamon has gone bad by noticing some signs that indicate it is bad.
Some of the signs of the spoiled cinnamon powder are as follows;
- Insects in the bag of the cinnamon
- Moulds grew in the cinnamon
- The unpleasant smell of the cinnamon
- Loss of taste
How should you store the cinnamon?
Proper storage of the cinnamon helps in keeping the cinnamon usable for longer periods, things mentioned below must be kept in mind;
- Store the cinnamon by putting it in a well-sealed bag.
- That’s why you can use an airtight bag to store the cinnamon.
- Cinnamon should be stored in a cool and dry place.
- Make sure to prevent the cinnamon from being in contact with the moisture and humidity.
- In this way, the place where cinnamon can be well stored can be your pantry or the kitchen’s cabinet.
How long can your cinnamon last?
Because of the longer shelf life of the cinnamon, you should worry about the spoilage of the cinnamon.
But if you will not store the cinnamon well, it will most probably get spoiled.
The minimum time for storing the cinnamon is half a year after it has passed its expiry date.
But mostly we’ll store cinnamon for 2_3 years past its expiration date.
If the taste and the quality of your cinnamon have not been declined, you can use it and it is safe for usage.
Also, keep in mind that the shelf life of the cinnamon depends more on its quality and taste and not on the dates printed on it.
Other FAQs about Cinnamon that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Where does cinnamon come from?” With an in-depth analysis of the uses and the nutritional value of the cinnamon. Moreover, we discussed the health benefits, storage and shelf life of cinnamon.