What do you put turmeric in when cooking?
In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “What do you put turmeric in when cooking?” We will also discuss the most common ways of using turmeric in your recipes as well as the health benefits of using turmeric.
What do you put turmeric in when cooking?
You can add turmeric to your roasted veggies, curries, and soups, or even blend it into your favorite smoothie. Basically, you can add turmeric to any food or any recipe.
Turmeric is a staple spice in almost every household. Whether it is any veg or non-veg recipe, turmeric adds a great flavor, texture, and vibrant color to any cuisine.
I think it’s fair to say that turmeric is in every food, if not every then in almost every food. Of course, you can choose to not add turmeric to your recipes according to your preference, but most people like to add turmeric to enhance the flavors.
How to use turmeric?
Turmeric can be used as a spice to spice up your recipes or as a supplement that can give you many health benefits. It’s a major ingredient in almost every recipe because of its earthy taste and vibrant color.
If you don’t like your food too yellow you can always use turmeric in your milk, smoothies, or even as a garnish.
Let’s discuss some of the most common ways of using turmeric in your kitchen below.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to your roasted veggies like cauliflower and potatoes or chicken for that warm peppery aroma and flavor.
- You can also add turmeric to your rice for that bright yellow color and a mild taste.
- A bowl of warm soup tastes and looks even better with a pinch of turmeric.
- You can also add turmeric to your milk with some honey as a warm and calming night beverage. This is especially very popular in India.
- Turmeric especially pairs very well with curries, be it an Indian-style vegetarian curry or South Asian cuisine, no curry is complete without its key ingredient turmeric.
- You can always blend turmeric into your smoothies for that unique flavor and warm hue.
- Add it to your scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes for an added taste.
Which foods taste best with turmeric?
Turmeric goes especially really well with rice, curries, and vegetables like cauliflower and roasted potatoes. Let us discuss two of the easiest turmeric recipes you can cook at home every day.
Turmeric rice with peas and carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 chopped onion
- ½ cup frozen peas and carrots (mixed) or fresh peas and chopped carrots
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice, rinsed
- In medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the chopped onions, and cook till it gives a golden color for about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, water, chicken broth, and the mixed veggies.
- Stir well, add the rice and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame until the water is absorbed by the rice for about 15 minutes.
- Let it rest for a while and the food is ready to be served.
Roasted cauliflower with potatoes
- 1 chopped cauliflower in medium size with all the leaves and the bottom hard core removed.
- Few peeled potatoes
- 3-4 Garlic cloves and 1 peeled medium-sized ginger (paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Marinade the cauliflower and potatoes overnight with all the ingredients. This allows the turmeric to penetrate overnight and gives off a beautiful yellow color.
- Bake the marinate in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- You can serve your roasted cauliflower and potatoes with rice or enjoy it alone.
For more turmeric recipes, please click the link here.
What are the health benefits of turmeric?
There are many proven health benefits of adding turmeric to your recipes:
- It contains bioactive compounds with medicinal properties.
- It can boost the body’s antioxidant capacity.
- It also helps to lower cholesterol.
- It may even help prevent cancer.
- It lessens inflammation in people with chronic conditions.
- Turmeric has long been used to treat arthritis in Chinese traditional medicine and Ayurveda.
- Much research has also proven that curcumin improves memory, which may be used for treating Alzheimer’s disease as well.
- It has also been known to treat depression.
- It also helps prevent signs of aging and chronic diseases.
Other FAQs about Turmeric that you may be interested in.
How much turmeric should you take a day?
Can I use turmeric instead of curry powder?
How to counteract too much turmeric in a recipe?
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “What do you put turmeric in when cooking?” We have also discussed the most common ways of using turmeric in your recipes as well as the health benefits of using turmeric.