In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “What can you eat with chopsticks?”. We will further elaborate on how to eat with chopsticks and what are the common mistakes you may be making while eating with chopsticks.
What can you eat with chopsticks?
You can enjoy the following dishes with chopsticks in your daily meal:
- Green machine fried rice
- Lighter-Than-Air Tempura
- Chinese Dumpling with Chicken & Napa Cabbage Filling
- Pineapple Ham Fried Rice.
- Sticky Rice Bites with Salmon.
- Pork & Scallion Wontons.
- Tangerine Beef Stir Fry with Scallions, Chilies & Snap Peas
- Brisket Ramen
How to eat with Chopsticks?
Chopsticks are considered dining utensils that are used to consume East Asian Cuisine. Although it looks so complicated to eat with two sticks, if you learn once how to eat with them it will be the easiest type of eating.
You can use the following method to eat with a chopstick:
- Take the first chopstick and hold it in between your thumbs and index finger. The first stick will act as an anchor and should not move.
- Hold the second chopstick that can move. It is a similar way to holding a pen but the only difference is you should hold the chopstick a bit lower.
- After holding both the chopsticks, you should position them evenly by tapping on the table because uneven chopsticks are not easy to handle.
- Make enough practice after holding the chopsticks but make sure both chopsticks do not make an X shape, otherwise, it will be difficult for you to pick up food.
- Pick the food, it will be easiest if you will pick the food at an angle of 45 degrees. If you feel your chopsticks are unstable upon picking the food, then place them down and try again to pick the food.
- Usually, at Asian dining tables, you have to use chopsticks at restaurants. Pick the chopstick pair that has not been used already. Also, hold that part of the chopstick that is broad and should be a non-eating part that is not used for chewing on.
- Do not transfer food from chopsticks to chopsticks as it looks unethical.
- Do not use the chopstick to point at someone.
- Do not stick the chopstick in your food in the vertical position. It looks bad.
- Do not place by making the cross of chopsticks if you have finished eating. It seems like bad table manners.
What are some mistakes that you should avoid when eating with chopsticks?
Following mistakes should be avoided when eating with chopsticks:
To get rid of the splinters, do not rub the chopsticks together
If you rub the chopsticks together, it is considered an insulting gesture for the host.
You should hold your chopsticks higher enough
It has been noticed that people who start to eat with chopsticks, at their early stage they hold chopsticks from the tapered point which looks not so efficient and seems like eating effortlessly.
You should ask for a fork instead of chopsticks
The consumer who usually eats with chopsticks may have a good experience using them but those who have just started eating with chopsticks will have trouble eating with a chopstick.
So, they should ask for a fork and knife politely from the host. It is not an embarrassing act to ask for a fork. If all other people are eating with chopsticks and you are having difficulty eating and holding a chopstick, then you should ask for the knife and fork in a polite and requested manner.
Sometimes, also those who are experts at eating with chopsticks switch to knife and fork when they get difficulty eating slippery or heavy dishes of food.
Do not place chopsticks on the table in order of point at another dinner
If you have finished your food or you are not using your chopsticks, it is okay to place them on the table.
It is considered very bad if you put the chopsticks on the table in such a direction that points towards the other people at the table. This pointing is considered a sword or aiming at someone.
In the same way, you should not place the knife and fork which could point someone through its edges.
Buy those chopsticks which are easy to use for you
Chopsticks vary from one culture to another. So, when purchasing chopsticks you should focus on those which will work perfectly for you and not follow what others are buying.
In this brief guide, we have provided an answer to the question, “What can you eat with chopsticks?”. We have further elaborated on how to eat with chopsticks and what are the common mistakes you may be making while eating with chopsticks.