In this brief guide, we will address and answer the query, “What can I use instead of red chilli sauce?” and answer other related questions like “How can I make red chili sauce?”
What can I use instead of red chili sauce?
There are many alternatives that can be used as a substitute for red chili sauce.
A few of the commonly used substitutes are as follows:
Sriracha sauce is made using ingredients such as red jalapeño, chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, etc. This sauce also provides a tangy and sweet taste along with being spicy.
Spicy Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce is one of the easily available substitutes. Its taste ranges from being sweet to very spicy. There are a large variety of tomato sauces to choose from. Spicy tomato sauce is one of the best alternatives to choose from when replacing chili sauce. It can also be used in dishes such as pasta sauces, soups, stews, etc.
Regular Hot Sauce
Regular hot sauce is another great substitute. Next to tomato sauce, this is widely sold in local grocery stores. Similar to tomato sauce, hot sauces range from being spicy with mild heat to extremely spicy. Depending upon the requirement, individual preferences, and tolerance to spicy food items, one should be careful while buying hot sauce and read the label to check the spicy levels before buying.
How to make red Chili sauce?
Red chili sauce can be easily prepared at home using basic kitchen utensils, accessories, and ingredients.
To make red chili sauce, just the basic kitchen tools are required i.e., a food processor. A stainless steel or enamel saucepan, preferably a heavy pan. Though gloves are not required or necessary, it is advisable to wear a pair for handling the chillies. This will help prevent any kitchen accidents.
For about 2 cups of roughly chopped chillies, the following are the ingredients required to make the red-chili sauce:
- 250ml of red pepper, roasted and peeled. They can also be used from shop-bought cans/packets or bottles.
- Peeled cloves of garlic. Around 2 to 3 pieces.
- Small pieces of ginger root. It should be thoroughly peeled. You may roughly chop the ginger or grate it.
- A few small whole chillies. Preferred especially if they are hot and very spicy ones.
- Half a liter of white wine and/or cider vinegar. They can be mixed together too. Half a bottle of white wine vinegar and half cider can be mixed.
- Preparing red Chili sauce
- Start by cutting down the chillies from the center. Remove and scrape out all the seeds with the help of a small vegetable knife and a teaspoon. Keep aside all the seeds. May come in handy for use in some other dish. It is okay if a few seeds are left out. Some seeds are hard to remove.
- Place the chillies in a bowl. Add (red) pepper, garlic pieces and ginger to it. Mix them fully and properly. Empty the bowl into the jar of the food processor. Press the pulse until the chillies, pepper and garlic mixture are processed into small pieces. Be sure to not turn it into a pulpy liquid.
- Empty the jar onto a saucepan. Add the required amounts of the listed ingredients to form a mixture. If a few small whole chillies are available, pierce them from the middle and add them as it is to the mixture in the pan.
- It is important to make sure the pan is only fifty per cent filled. The mixture may boil over. Keep the flame at medium levels. Slowly, keep stirring the mixture.
- Increase the flame level, and bring the mixture to the point of boiling.
- Let the mixture boil for about 25 minutes. At this stage, the bubbles will become reduced in size and will be fine looking. As a result, the mixture will begin to turn slightly darker.
- Keep a watch on the pan. The mixture should and must look thick & syrupy.
- Keep stirring the mixture occasionally to make sure it does not burn. The red chili sauce should be ready in around 25-30 minutes.
- It can be used as dips, bread spread, fried foods, barbecue, hamburgers, tacos, rice, many varieties of Asian dishes, etc.
Other FAQs about Sauces that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we have addressed and answered the query, “What can I use instead of red chili sauce?” and answered other related questions like “How can I make red chili sauce?”