In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What can I use if I don’t have pizza sauce? We will give you 7 alternatives for the classic tomato sauce.
What can I use if I don’t have pizza sauce?
If you do not have pizza sauce or if you got tired of the usual tomato sauce, you can always use one of the following alternatives:
- Tapenade: it is an olive pate with a lot of flavors. To prepare it, crush 400g of pitted black olives, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of capers, 2 teaspoons of thyme, 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 60 ml of oil in a food processor or blender. olive and, if you want, also 1 tablespoon of brandy. Beat until smooth, season with salt and pepper, and spread over pizza dough.
- Muhammara: a slightly spicy cream of peppers. To make it you need 1 cup of walnuts, 2 tablespoons of pomegranate, 2 large roasted peppers, 1 clove of garlic, 1/4 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 tablespoon of ketchup, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Beat it all together until you get a smooth cream.
- Gremolata: a crunchy and slightly tart side dish. It is also easy to make, you just have to beat (little, it does not need to be like a pate) a handful of parsley, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of lemon zest, the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons of olive oil. olive, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 cup of pine nuts.
- Barbecue sauce: a spicy touch for your pizza. You can make it by heating crushed tomato with a little chili powder, salt, oregano, and parsley, or use a commercial one.
- Olive oil: use extra virgin olive oil, and add it once all the ingredients are in place so that they are shiny and golden and reach a minimum to the dough.
- Cheddar sauce is perfect for pizzas, although it must be compensated with other milder ingredients
- White sauce: Known as white sauce, a very popular alternative is pizza sauce made from milk, Parmesan cheese, onion, and garlic. These main ingredients are also accompanied by a little butter, oil, flour, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. You can also use cream instead of milk, in that case, it would not be necessary to add flour, since it is only used to thicken.
Cheddar sauce for pizza
Cheese lovers will find cheddar sauce the best option. In addition, it is made in the same way for pizza or to accompany nachos or chicken wings or nuggets, so we can take advantage of it for a snack of starters.
To prepare the cheddar sauce you will need cheddar cheese, spreadable cheese (very mild in flavor), milk, unsalted butter, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. It is as simple as placing the milk in a saucepan and melting the butter and thickening with the cornstarch. It includes the spread cheese and, finally, the cheddar cheese, which should be stirred over low heat until it falls apart and everything is well linked.
As cheddar cheese already has a fairly powerful flavor, it is best to choose the rest of the ingredients in their milder version or add little, as is the case with salt and pepper, which will be added at the end, after tasting the result.
Homemade barbecue sauce
Another very popular sauce on pizza is barbecue. Although those that are sold already packaged are often too artificial, the best option if we want a total artisan pizza is to prepare the barbecue sauce also at home.
As far as ingredients are concerned, to make this sauce you need green pepper, bell pepper, chives, garlic, ketchup, oregano, hot paprika, soy sauce, cornflour, salt, pepper, and a little vinegar.
It is as simple as poaching all the vegetables and finely chopped garlic, adding the soy sauce and ketchup, as well as the seasonings, and mixing everything well with a mixer. Then you should add half the cornflour and continue beating. And once it is ready, strain it and pour it into a pot over low heat while the cornflour is finished adding and it binds well.
Traditionally, pizza sauce was simply ground tomato paste that was sparsely seasoned. The sauce was actually cooked in the oven as part of the pizza, however, there are many variations today.
If you are preparing a tomato sauce for pasta or pizza, a thicker, more dense sauce is better. On the other hand, if you have to prepare some cannelloni, cooking a sauce with meatloaf, meat, or fish, a slightly more liquid sauce is better so it becomes thick during cooking with the other ingredients.
If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know.