What are the side effects of drinking too much green coffee?
In this short article we will provide the answer to the question: “What are the side effects of drinking too much green coffee?”. In addition, we will discuss some benefits of moderate consumption of green coffee.
What are the side effects of drinking too much green coffee?
It is important to note that green coffee bean extract contains a significant amount of caffeine. Therefore, consuming excessive amounts of this extract can potentially lead to palpitations, anxiety, sleep disturbances, and an accelerated heartbeat. (1)
Rather than providing a sustained energy boost, some people may encounter energy crashes, which can cause abrupt fatigue and sleepiness. Additionally, the caffeine found in coffee has the potential to induce anxiety by blocking adenosine, a chemical that aids in preventing fatigue.
This interference with adenosine can result in symptoms like fatigue, nausea, and may even contribute to the development of caffeine-induced anxiety disorder. It is worth noting that consuming around 1000 mg of caffeine per day can lead to effects such as nervousness, jitteriness, and nausea.(2, 3)
Excessive caffeine intake not only affects physical well-being but also has repercussions on the nervous system and gastrointestinal tract. An overstimulated nervous system can disrupt the colon and gastrointestinal (GI) tract, leading to stomach discomfort.
In cases of caffeine toxicity, adverse effects such as diarrhea, nausea, acid reflux, and gas may occur. These symptoms can be painful and disruptive to daily life.
Furthermore, consuming significant quantities of green coffee can contribute to insomnia. Caffeine acts as a sleep deterrent and can disrupt the sleep cycle, especially when consumed later in the day. (3)
Currently, there have been only a few studies conducted on the effects of green coffee bean extract, which makes it difficult to ascertain its long-term impact as a supplement.
However, thus far, no harmful or negative side effects have been reported with the use of green coffee bean extract supplementation. (1)
What are the properties and benefits of green coffee?
The ingestion of green coffee if carried out in a controlled and moderate way can be beneficial for your health, serving as a source of energy, helping to reduce the levels of sugar and free radicals in the blood, accelerates metabolism, has a diuretic effect and helps in the loss of weight.
Green coffee is a source of caffeine, a nutrient that inhibits the action of the neurotransmitter adenosine, responsible for drowsiness, tiredness and fatigue. Also, green coffee combats this effect by making you more energetic throughout the day. (4)
Decreases blood sugar levels
Green coffee contains chlorogenic acid and this substance is directly linked to the reduction of glucose absorbed by the liver. This is mainly because chlorogenic acid prevents the accumulation of localized fat in this organ.
Therefore, due to the presence of this substance, green coffee helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Thanks to this, the substance is often indicated as an aid in the treatment of people with type 2 diabetes. (4, 5)
Reduces free radicals present in the body
Free radicals are natural elements of the body’s own metabolism. In high amounts, they are harmful to the body as they age body tissues.
Green coffee has an antioxidant effect, because it inhibits the action of free radicals in the body.
This is thanks to the presence of chlorogenic acid and substances called tocopherols, which is simply another name for vitamin E. Its consumption helps to prevent premature aging and cellular wear and tear. (4, 6-8)
Green coffee has thermogenic action, which helps to speed up metabolism. The thermogenic action causes an increase in internal temperature causing an acceleration of metabolism. Therefore, the body starts to burn more calories, causing you to spend more energy even at rest. (5, 7)
Diuretic action and cosmetic benefits
Green coffee also has a diuretic action, fighting fluid retention and weight loss. Another little-known benefit of green coffee lies in its cosmetic properties. Green coffee oil is often used in cosmetics for skin and hair beauty. That’s because green coffee has moisturizing properties, it also prevents baldness.
In addition, it strengthens hair keratin giving hair more shine and resistance to breakage.
Green coffee aids in weight loss by mobilizing and burning fat, as well as decreasing fat storage in cells. Green coffee can also help you lose weight in a natural and healthy way. That is, it is excellent for those looking to lose weight and change their habits for a better quality of life.
In addition, for best results, it is excellent to combine green coffee with a healthy diet and physical exercise. (5, 7)
What is the recommended dosage for green coffee?
The amount of aqueous green coffee included in the diet was determined based on the analysis of its caffeine content. This is because the daily dosage of caffeine should not exceed 45 mg per kilogram of body weight. (6)
The bottom line
Due to the acidic content of green coffee, you may experience symptoms of stomach upset and ulcers. In addition, green coffee has a high caffeine content, so high consumption of this substance can cause irritability and anxiety.
Green coffee has numerous health benefits if consumed in moderation. In addition, the use of green coffee combined with a healthy diet and habits can make you lose weight faster and in a healthy way.
In this short article we provided the answer to the question: “What are the side effects of drinking too much green coffee?”. In addition, we discussed some benefits of moderate consumption of green coffee.
- Bae, J.-H., Park, J.-H., Im, S.-S., & Song, D.-K. Coffee and health. Integrative Medicine Research, 3(4), 189–191. 2014.
- Farah, Adriana. Nutritional and health effects of coffee. 10.19103/AS.2017.0022.14. 2018.
- Willson, C. The clinical toxicology of caffeine: A review and case study. Toxicology Reports. 2018.
- Wei, F., & Tanokura, M. Organic Compounds in Green Coffee Beans. Coffee in Health and Disease Prevention, 149–162. 2015.
- Choi, B.-K., Park, S.-B., Lee, D.-R., Lee, H. J., Jin, Y.-Y., Yang, S. H., & Suh, J.-W. Green coffee bean extract improves obesity by decreasing body fat in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, 9(7), 635–643. 2016.
- Caroline Woelffel Silva, Keila Rodrigues Zanardi, et. al. Green coffee extract (Coffea canephora) improved the intestinal barrier and slowed colorectal cancer progression and its associated inflammation in rats, PharmaNutrition, 22, 2022
- Gorji, Z., Nazary-Vannani, A., talaei, S., Varkaneh, H. K., Clark, C. C. T., Fatahi, S., … Zhang, Y. The Effect of Green-Coffee Extract Supplementation on Obesity: A Systematic Review and Dose-Response Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Phytomedicine, 2019.
- Han, B., Nazary‐Vannani, A., Talaei, S., Clark, C. C. T., Rahmani, J., Rasekhmagham, R., & Kord‐Varkaneh, H. The effect of green coffee extract supplementation on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta‐analysis of randomized controlled trials. Phytotherapy Research. 2019.