In this brief guide, we will discuss the difference between a shake and a malt. We will get to know the ingredients and nutritional value of shake and malt. We will also discuss the ingredients that differentiate the shake and malt from each other.
What is the difference between a shake and malt?
Yes, there is a difference between a shake and a malt. Both contain very high amounts of calories and saturated fats.
Malt Shake or malt is made from malted evaporated milk. This malted dry milk is made by mixing malted barley wheat and evaporated milk. Malted grains have been used to make beer since ancient times.
Malt extract is made from fermenting the barley. The starch present in the barley is converted into sugar like monosaccharide glucose, maltose, and maltotriose by the enzymes present in the grains.
Grains are malted and these malted grains are further used to make beer and several other non-alcoholic drinks.
A shake is normally called a milkshake and it is made by adding different fruits and fruit flavours to the milk.
Other toppings like caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, and icecream are also added to the shake. Shakes are popularly consumed all over the world. They are high caloric and high energy drinks.
We have different types of shakes that are healthy for you. Milkshakes are very easy to prepare; they just need blending.
- Chocolate hazelnut milkshake.
- Apple and peach milkshake.
- Banana and date milkshake.
- Almond milkshake.
- Strawberry milkshake.
- Beetroot milkshake.
Healthy milkshakes are a very good snack for you. You can drink them at any time of the day.
What is the difference in the nutritional value of malt and shake?
The difference in the nutritional value of malt and shake is depicted in the table below:
|Carbohydrates||20 g||18 g|
|Protein||3.3 g||4 g|
|Fats||5 g||3 g|
|Fibres||0.2 g||0 g|
|Cholesterol||17 g||12 mg|
|Cobalamin||8 %||8 %|
|Calcium||10 %||14 %|
|Sodium||63 mg||95 mg|
|Potassium||172 mg||183 mg|
- There is not much difference in the energy level of the malt and shake both. The difference is the calories can be increased in the milkshake by adding ingredients like sugar, milk, and cream.
- The amount of carbohydrates is more in the malted shake due to the presence of milk and sugar along with the other sweet sauces like malt.
- The amount of calcium is more in the milkshake as compared to the malt as the milkshake has more amount of milk in it. Calcium is good for the health of bone and teeth.
- Amount of sodium is low in the malt as compared to the milkshake. Milkshakes have a higher sodium level because of the presence of milk and other additives in it.
What is the difference between the ingredients of shake and malt?
The difference between the ingredients of shake and malt are discussed in the table below:
|The base ingredient of shakes is milk, ice cream, sugar, and fruits.||The base ingredient of a malted milkshake is the malted milk powder. The rest of the ingredients are the same as milkshakes.|
|It has a regular sweet taste.||It gives a sweet and toasty taste.|
|Its consistency is thicker.||Malted milkshake has a creamy consistency.|
|A milkshake has less nutritional value.||Barley adds additional nutrients to the malted milkshake.|
What are the health benefits of milkshakes and malt?
The health benefits of milkshakes and malt are the following:
- Both of the drinks contain milk which is a good source of calcium and vitamin D. These two minerals help in the formation of strong bones and teeth. Calcium also helps in muscle contraction and it also helps in maintaining a normal heartbeat.
- Milkshake also contains several fruits that contain many vitamins and minerals along with the antioxidants that are good for your health.
- Homemade shakes are way better than packaged milkshakes. They contain preservatives and a lot of sugar that is not good for your health.
- Both of them are a good source of protein. Protein is very essential for the building of body muscles. Protein helps to maintain the body’s organs.
What are the health risks of shakes and malt?
Following are the health risks of shakes and malt:
- People who are allergic to milk proteins can not drink malt and shake both. They will get an allergic reaction after consuming them.
- Malt contains gluten that is not suitable for people who have celiac disease. Malted milkshakes are not completely gluten-free and it is not safe for celiac patients.
- Milkshakes are high in saturated fats and they are also high in added sugars both of these lead to weight gain and chronic heart problems.
In this brief guide, we discussed the difference between a shake and a malt. We got to know the ingredients and nutritional value of shake and malt. We also discussed the ingredients that differentiate the shake and malt from each other.