In this article, we will answer the following question: How do I make tomato sauce less spicy? We will also tell you how to make tomato sauce less sweet and less acidic.
How do I make tomato sauce less spicy?
There are several ways to make tomato sauce less spicy:
- Double the quantities– Be careful, not with water, but by adding a little of all the foods. You have a recipe for 3 people, now you will have some for 4 or for your lunch the next day. Do not multiply all the ingredients, choose those that provide vitamins such as vegetables (carrots, zucchini …) cut into pieces.
- Add sugar – Not by the handful, but just a pinch of caster sugar (or a square diluted in water) to soften, but also 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Add broth – mix the tomato sauce with a ladle of homemade broth or with a cube dipped in hot water. You can also add liquid cream or coconut milk. Some people even add plain stirred yogurt to refresh the dish like in India.
- A touch of acidity – Add lemon or lime juice. They go perfectly with dishes from around the world. If you are afraid to use too much, add some tomato juice that you have previously lemony.
- The magic of starchy foods – The potato and the bread are magic products to absorb the surplus. They act like a blotter. Peel and cut the potato in half, the bread into several pieces and add them to cooking. They will absorb the spices. Throw them away after cooking.
- Add more tomatoes – Add about one half more in proportion to what was initially added.
- Add a little cream – It is undoubtedly a difficult decision, but if you are willing to modify the texture and color, you can add two tablespoons of cream to dilute the itch. It will not be the same, but you will have a perfect option to complement your pasta or meat. This option is recommended when your sauce is a complement to a dish.
- Add cilantro – Mix coriander and a few drops of lemon. Adding these ingredients will reduce the spiciness without changing the preparation much. It will give it a fresher touch, and the itching will decrease considerably.
How do I make tomato sauce less acidic?
If our sauce has been too acidic, there are two ways to fix it with which it is possible to correct that excess acidity very efficiently and without hardly affecting the flavor of the dish.
- Add sugar – The best-known trick and, in fact, many recipes already include it as an ingredient is to add a small amount of sugar, preferably brown, sprinkle it as if we were adding salt over the sauce, and cook for a few minutes over low heat to prevent the sugar from burning.
I insist that you have to start by adding a minimal amount and trying until you find the amount you need because excess acidity will not always be the same and because if we go over it, it will be too sweet.
- Add sodium bicarbonate – It may be the case that we cannot take sugar or we are not interested, or we do not like that the sauces have that sweetish point; another ingredient that can be used to neutralize the acidity is bicarbonate, and we will use it in the same way, with the sauce over low heat, add a pinch of bicarbonate in the form of rain, mix, taste, and repeat the process until the sauce has lost the necessary acidity.
How do I make tomato sauce less sweet?
To counteract too much sugar in tomato sauce add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix. Or add a little lemon, or wine vinegar, or even mustard, which will spice up the sauce. You can also add a little crème fraîche. You can also add a little curry, or water, or coconut milk.
The best thing to do is to prevent and to test the sauce as we cook. A dish can be too sweet for two reasons: either we added more than the recipe called for, or the original recipe had too much, either due to a typo or personal preference.
Hence, it is so important to taste food while we cook it. When it comes to sauces, soups, or broths it is better to start by adding only half of what you ask for, taste and if you need more, add the rest little by little, testing after each addition.
Find a balance: If we have not done the previous step and we already have the problem of excess sweetness on top, it is time to find a balance by adding ingredients that are either acidic, bitter, or spicy. Of course, we will avoid adding other sweet ingredients. It’s also important to be careful with salty ingredients, as these actually bring out the sweetener in the food.
The bottom line
There are multiple ways you can make a tomato sauce taste better: add dairy products, water, use acid or bitter ingredients, or double the recipe. Of course, the best method is to follow the recipe and to taste the tomato sauce while we are making it.
What alternative options have you used in the past to make tomato sauce less spicy?