Is lasagne sauce the same as Bolognese sauce?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Is lasagne sauce the same as Bolognese sauce? We will teach you how to prepare lasagna from scratch, and explain what sauce to use in order to make a delicious dish!
Is lasagne sauce the same as Bolognese sauce?
Lasagne sauce is not the same as Bolognese sauce. Bolognese sauce is one of the two main sauces used to cook lasagna, the other one is the famous Bechamel sauce. Lasagna can be made with a wide variety of ingredients, from meat lasagna to vegetable lasagna, through the classic shrimp and mushroom lasagna, cheese.
Below we will present to you a classic beef bolognese lasagna with bechamel, an infallible recipe that most people like, and if you have your own homemade frozen Bolognese sauce, you can prepare it in just 30 minutes.
You will surely love pasta recipes such as the classic pasta with homemade bolognese sauce, our special scandal spaghetti with mustard and cheese bechamel, or the delicious minced meat cannelloni and fresh pasta with béchamel sauce.
But in addition to pasta, you can use the delicious Bolognese sauce to make some stuffed mushrooms in the oven, cook aubergines stuffed with minced meat in the microwave, or jump into international cuisine and prepare a tasty Greek moussaka.
Ingredients to make the Bolognese meat lasagna recipe (4 people)
- 18 lasagna plates (if they are pre-cooked, you will only have to soak them).
- Cheese to grate, Emmental, or mozzarella type.
- Oil and salt.
- For the homemade Bolognese sauce:
- 300 gr of minced meat (100 of pork and 200 of beef).
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion.
- 1 glass of white wine.
- 200 gr of tomato sauce or fried tomato.
- 50 ml of milk.
- Oil, salt, and pepper.
- For the bechamel sauce:
- 1/2 liter of milk (the equivalent of a little more than two glasses of milk).
- 2 tablespoons of flour.
- 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Spices to taste (nutmeg, pepper, oregano …).
Other FAQs about Sauces which you may be interested in.
What is the difference between Thai and Vietnamese fish sauce?
How long does chili garlic sauce last?
How to prepare Bolognese meat lasagna
- Soak the lasagna plates. Soak them in a bowl of water, usually for 10-15 minutes.
- For the Bolognese sauce, you can follow this recipe in detail, with photos and tips, although here we include the steps:
- Finely chop the onion and carrot.
- In a frying pan, add oil (almost covering the bottom) and add the onion and carrot. Sauté over medium heat until the onion begins to look transparent.
- Add the minced meat, mix it with the rest of the ingredients, and separate it with the spatula. Add salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.
- When the meat is no longer pink, add the glass of white wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the tomato and milk, and let it cook for 20 minutes, so the flavors meld and the texture are smooth.
- We are going to prepare the bechamel, and for this, we follow this recipe that explains how to make a homemade bechamel with photographs and all the details, although it is summarized here (for more details visit the link):
- In a saucepan over low heat, add the two tablespoons of butter, and when the butter melts and becomes liquid, add the tablespoons of flour and stir everything very well, so that a homogeneous paste is formed and there are no lumps of flour.
- Then add a little milk (half a glass) and continue mixing well. When everything has been integrated, add the rest of the milk and do not stop stirring with a few rods or a spoon, so that it does not stick to the bottom. Add salt to taste, and also spices, for example, ground black pepper and oregano.
- When the sauce is creamy and textured, remove it from the heat and set it aside. If at the time of adding it to the lasagna it is a bit thick, add a splash of milk and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Start to assemble the lasagna: on a baking tray (which you can line with greaseproof paper so that it does not stick to you), add a little bechamel to cover the base slightly, and place 4 sheets of pasta and a third of the sauce on top Bolognese.
- Carry out this process 3 times and place the last layer of pasta sheets and on top of the béchamel covering completely all the sheets, grate cheese on top and sprinkle a little oregano. If you prefer to prepare it in individual casseroles, read the suggested recipe variants below.
- Bake the lasagna for 15 minutes at 180ºC. When you see that the cheese has slightly browned, it is ready. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving and cutting it.
- Serve and taste: After 5 minutes of waiting, it is time to enjoy this delicious recipe. Cut the lasagna into 4 pieces and serve them to the diners. Warn them to wait a little bit, the first bites can burn, especially if you have prepared it in clay pots since they can withstand the heat a lot.
If you grate the cheese at the time of use, it will have much more flavor and also the cheese block will be used for other dishes since you can keep it for many days and even weeks, which does not happen with grated cheese.
Pre-cooked lasagna plates are very comfortable to use, and I hardly find any difference from the traditional ones. Of course, if you dare to make your own fresh pasta plates, the result will be much more spectacular and you can finish them with the thickness and dimensions you prefer.
If you have any tips or comments on the content, please let us know!