In this brief guide, we will discuss the question, “is it safe to eat prunes every day?”. As well, we will discuss what are prunes, what are the nutrients present in prunes, what are the health benefits of eating prunes, and other concerns about prunes.
Is it safe to eat prunes every day?
It may be safe to eat prunes every day if you don’t have dysfunctions of the digestive system and ingest prunes in moderation. With that being said, iit is safe to eat prunes in small quantities every day.
What are prunes?
Prunes are dried plums, but not all plums species can be transformed into prunes. The common species of prunes is Prunus domestica. The prunes during the dried process do not ferment, so can be dried properly.
What are the nutrients present in prunes?
Generally, prunes have a high content of carbohydrates and just 2% of protein but are an excellent source of K vitamin. According to Healthline, below are listed the nutrients present in prunes.
- K vitamin;
- B2 vitamin;
- B3 vitamin;
- B6 vitamin.
What are the health benefits of eating prunes?
Mainly, prunes are very related to relieving constipation, as almost all of your fiber content is insoluble and is considered more powerful than synthetic laxatives. According to Healthline, below are some health benefits listed.
- Prunes as a laxative. As prunes have insoluble fiber and sorbitol is a substance that has laxative properties, eating prunes will relieve constipation;
- Prunes have a lot of antioxidants, that assist in reducing cell damage which results in less inflammation in your body, protecting the cells against free radicals;
- The antioxidant polyphenol present in prunes helps to maint the bone health;
- The antioxidant polyphenol also helps in the prevention of diabetes, cancer, and heart disease;
- The antioxidant polyphenol also has anti-inflammatory properties;
- Eating prunes can assist in the regulation of the blood sugar because the fiber content makes your organism absorber the sugar slowly;
- Eating prunes are also related to the increase of adiponectin levels, which also assist in the regulation of blood sugar;
- Eating prunes can also avoid bone density, making the bone healthy and avoiding osteopenia and osteoporosis;
- Eating prunes is also related that can elevate some hormones that improve the development of bone;
- Other nutrients such as K vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium are also related to bone health because they do reactions in the bone system;
- As the antioxidants present in the prunes can contribute to decreasing the levels of cholesterol and blood pressure, eating prunes is beneficial to heart health;
- The presence of the A vitamin helps to improve the health of the eyes;
- Eating prunes constantly may assist in the prevention of anemia;
- Consuming prunes can help to weight loss because when you eat prunes, make you feel satiated for longer hours;
- The antioxidants present in prunes also have effects on the lungs by assisting in their protection.
What can happen if I eat a lot of prunes?
Like other foods, if you eat a lot of prunes it can be unhealthy for your body. According to TheList, below are some unpleasant effects of eating a lot of prunes daily.
- Can cause diarrhea which can result in mild inflammation of your digestive system;
- Many prunes can increase the production of gas in the digestive system;
- You can feel abdominal pains or discomfort;
- Consumption of prunes for some people can result in irritation of the bladder;
- If you consume prunes every day, you may become dependent on the laxative properties of prunes.
What is the recommendation for daily intake of prunes?
The Healthline recommends a portion of ¼ to ½ (44 to 87 grams) cup of prunes. However, keep in mind that if you eat a lot of prunes, you may have unpleasant effects, so it’s better to maintain moderation.
Where can I buy prunes?
As prunes are consumed worldwide, you may find them in almost all grocery stores and supermarkets, but you can also buy them online. Click here to check some varieties of prunes in online commerce.
What recipes for prunes?
As the prunes have a sweet taste, you may find many different recipes for desserts that contain prunes. If you click here, you will find 10 complete recipes for prunes, such as bread, cake, snacks, puddings, and others.
In this brief guide, we have discussed the question, “is it safe to eat prunes every day?”. As well, we have discussed what are prunes, what are the nutrients present in prunes, what are the health benefits of eating prunes, and other concerns about prunes.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-plums-prunes Accessed: 05/05/2022
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prune Accessed: 05/05/2022