In this brief guide, we will discuss the question, “is it safe to eat fish from Lake Michigan?”. As well, we will discuss where Lake Michigan is, does Lake Michigan connect to the ocean, and other concerns about fish from Lake Michigan.
Is it safe to eat fish from Lake Michigan?
Yes, it is safe to eat fish from Lake Michigan, as most of them are healthy and edible, however, there are some species of fish that are not recommended to eat because they contain high levels of chemicals. The edible fish need to be consumed in moderation.
Why are not all species of fish recommended?
According to the MDHHS, some species of fish, mainly the larger, have a lot of chemicals in their flesh and are labeled as “do not eat” and some species of fish are labeled as “limited” for specific groups of people.
How can they be classified into specific groups of people?
According to the MDHHS, some species of fish are limited to people who are 14 years or less, have health disorders (like diabetes or cancer), will be pregnant in the next few years, are pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
What are the species of fish from Lake Michigan?
As lake Michigan is connected to the ocean and open water, it can contain a great variety of fish. According to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), below are listed some species of fish present in Lake Michigan.
- Bluegill. It is native to North America, has 34 variety of species, and is fed from insects, little crayfish, snails, and vegetation;
- Brook trout. It is native to North America, belongs to the salmon family, and are pretentious predator;
- Brown trout. It is native to Russia and Europe, belongs to the salmon family, and is fed from any terrestrial or aquatic insects;
- Channel catfish. It is native to North America, is an elongated fish with prominent barbels, and they habit cooler and deeper waters;
- Chinook salmon. It is native to Northeast Asia and North America, are considered king salmon because are the largest species of the genus Oncorhynchus;
- Coho salmon. It is to the Pacific Coast of North America and Asia;
- Many others.
How can I choose the edible fish to eat?
You will choose the fish by species, chemical of concern, and the size of fish, and with this information, you will have the serving amount. The MDHHS has a guideline of 2022 with all information necessary to consume fish from Lake Michigan safely, click here to check it.
What are the nutrients of fish?
The fish contains a low-fat value source of high-quality protein. Serve as the font of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins (D and B2-riboflavin), and minerals, mainly calcium and phosphorus, but also contain iron, iodine, zinc, potassium, and magnesium.
What are the health benefits of fish?
The omega-3 fatty acids can be found just in fish, this nutrient is not produced by our organism. Below are some other health benefits of this nutrient.
- Nutrients of fish can assist in lowering blood pressure and decreasing the chance of stroke or heart attack, but also helps to maintain the brain healthy;
- Can lower the chance of ADHD, depression, dementia, Alzheimer’s, and diabetes;
- Can avoid inflammation and lower the chance of arthritis;
- Help the infant grow vision and nerves as the fetus is developing inside the mother.
Can I eat fish every day?
According to Harvard, it is recommended to eat fish two times a week, but in particular, if you are healthy it’s okay to eat fish every day. However, if you are a pregnant woman or a child, it’s better to not eat sizable fish with advanced lifespans, because they may contain more toxins.
Where is Lake Michigan?
Lake Michigan is from North America and is part of the five Great Lakes as the second-largest by volume, with a surface area of 58.030 km² being the third-largest among them. Lake Michigan is located in the U.S., present in 4 states (Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Illinois).
Does Lake Michigan connect to the ocean?
Yes, Lake Michigan is connected to the ocean and open water in the location of the Illinois Waterway to the Gulf of Mexico. Some parts of Lake Michigan freeze in winter, which can interrupt the shipping.
What is a recipe for fresh fish?
As fish are consumed worldwide, you can find many recipes on the internet. If you click here, you will check a complete recipe for easy lemon butter with a filet of the fish in 15 mins.
In this brief guide, we have discussed the question, “is it safe to eat fish from Lake Michigan?”. As well, we have discussed where Lake Michigan is, does Lake Michigan connect to the ocean, and other concerns about fish from Lake Michigan.
https://www.outdoorgeeky.com/can-you-eat-salmon-after-they-spawn/ Accessed: 05/12/2022
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/is-it-okay-to-eat-fish-every-day/ Accessed: 05/12/2022
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Michigan Accessed: 05/12/2022
https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/11-best-fish-to-ea Accessed: 05/12/2022