In this brief guide, we will answer the query, “Is ensure plus vegetarian?” and will discuss what is ensure plus.
Is ensure plus vegetarian?
No, ensure plus is not vegetarian. For usage under medical supervision, Ensure Plus is a food for special medical purposes. If you are following a vegetarian or kosher diet, you should avoid the flavors of peach, raspberry, and strawberry. For a Halal diet, vanilla flavoring is not permitted.
What is the ensure plus?
Oral Nutritional Supplements or food for special medical purposes can be defined as: “complete nutritional food with a formulation of nutrients adapted to a specific disease, disorder or medical condition, which may constitute the only source of nutrition for the person to whom it is addressed”. In short, “Oral Nutritional Supplements are sterile liquids, semi-solids or powders, which provide macro-and micronutrients… for individuals who are unable to meet their nutritional requirements through oral diet alone” (1).
One of the most comprehensive and balanced nutritional supplements on the market today is Ensure Plus. To meet the dietary requirements of those who are undernourished, unable to eat properly, or who are under fluid restriction, abbott created this delicious beverage.
· Elderly people who eat little or no food
· Patients who are undernourished before surgery
· After surgery, patients
· Patients with cancer
· Congestive heart failure patients
· Patients who have suffered burns
What is ensure plus nutrition shake?
To help patients achieve or maintain a healthy weight, ENSURE PLUS supplies concentrated calories and protein. Patients with malnutrition, who are in danger of nutritional deficiency, or who are losing weight unintentionally may benefit from this treatment. Taken orally. As a temporary stand-in for a full-time diet. Maintaining a healthy weight is the goal.
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence of the UK expert guidelines recommend the initiation of Oral Nutritional Supplements if patients are malnourished or “at risk” of malnutrition. Malnutrition affects over 3 million people in the UK and 33 million people in Europe annually. Malnutrition is particularly common among older people; it has been reported to affect 29%–61% of the elderly hospital population.9 It is also seen in approximately 9% of the elderly population at home (1).
Although a recent systematic review suggests protein supplementation does not provide additional benefits to exercise in older adults, current reports suggest long-term, multinutrient supplementation with, or without, exercise increases muscle mass and strength in mobility-limited and sarcopenic older adults. A study showed that six months of structured physical activity and the addition of a high protein, high vitamin D nutritional supplement in vitamin D deficient and mobility-limited older adults led to significant improvements in total-body composition and thigh-specific improvements in subcutaneous adipose tissue, intermuscular fat, muscle strength, power, and quality (2).
· 50% more calories than Ensure Original (350 vs 220 Cal/8 oz.).
· To put it another way, this product has 75% more protein than Ensure Original.
· Vitamin D and calcium are essential for bone health.
· High protein content (16 g per 8 oz) and concentrated calories (1.5 Cal/mL).
· Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA, 40% of 1.6 g DV) is an excellent source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
· Vitamins and minerals make up 27 of the nutrients.
· Leading medical-grade product line.
· Lactose intolerance is not a problem
Using These Instructions:
- Shake it up a little. It’s best to have it cold.
- Within 48 hours of opening, reseal and refrigerate.
- Cover, refrigerate and use within 24 hours if drunk immediately from the jar.
The ENSURE® PLUS HN
Nutritionally complete and balanced fiber-free tube feed, Ensure Plus HN contains 1.5kcal/mL. It provides more calories and protein (63g per 1000mL) while leaving a little amount of waste behind. It’s a high-calorie, high-protein diet designed to assist patients to reach and maintain a healthy weight while also supporting lean muscle mass. 1 Can of vanilla-flavored 250ml and 1000ml ready to hang unflavoured are both available
· An all-in-one, well-rounded liquid diet
· Ready for a drink and a good time! DO A GOOD JOB OF SHAKING THE CAN. After 24 hours, discard any feed that hasn’t been opened and refrigerated. Avoid extended light exposure while storing unopened items at room temperature. Packaged in a safe environment.
· Medical supervision is required when using this product on its own as a source of nourishment. Children should only be given this medication if a doctor or other certified health care provider recommends it.
· Not to be used intravenously.
· Galactosemia is a contraindication.
Ensure Plus milkshake style
An oral nutritional supplement for persons with or at risk of developing disease-related malnutrition, Ensure Plus is a ready-to-drink milkshake type supplement. There are many different flavors of Ensure Plus milkshake style available for consumers to choose from. Fruits of the forest include peach, raspberry, strawberry, and vanilla. Bananas and chocolate are also included. The 200ml milkshake-style bottle of Ensure Plus comes with a peel-off seal, making it easy to pour.
Ice cubes and lollipops made with Ensure Plus milkshake may be frozen for later use in milkshakes. As a hot beverage, coffee and chocolate flavors are very delicious. Milkshake powder, coffee, or cocoa may be used to flavor the neutral version. Drinks, breakfast cereals, and puddings don’t need milk if you use it instead. Boiling the milkshake type of Ensure Plus might damage some of the essential nutrients, so don’t do it.
It’s important to know how many servings of Ensure® you should take daily
Ensure® products provide a full and balanced source of nourishment. It is possible to utilize Ensure® products on an ongoing basis. When it comes to a person’s requirements, several variables come into play. Please see your doctor if you have any questions about your health. In addition, the sugar content of frequently prescribed Oral Nutritional Supplements can be high. While they are beneficial in assisting the patient to maintain a healthy BMI, they may increase the risk of dental caries (1).
Is Ensure® safe for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding?
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should strive to meet their increased energy and nutrient requirements through a healthy, nutrient-rich diet. A ‘pregnancy and breastfeeding shake’ does not need to replace a meal, but could be useful in providing an additional source of nutrition. It may be challenging for women to follow a diet that meets the high demands of pregnancy and breastfeeding. In these cases, a supplement shake containing both macro- and micronutrients would be beneficial. Supplementation during pregnancy has been shown to improve the overall weight-gain and linear growth of children at one year of age (3).
To address the nutritional requirements of expectant and lactating mothers, Ensure® products may be ingested. Those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should always heed the recommendations of their health care professionals and seek medical counsel before exceeding the recommended daily serving amount. Similac Mom, a product for pregnant and nursing mothers, is also available from Abbott Nutrition.
Is Ensure® safe for children?
PediaSure Complete® is one of Abbott Nutrition’s products particularly intended for children between the ages of 1 and 13. For a youngster, a health care expert should make the final choice on which nutritious supplement to use.
Other FAQs about Vegetarian that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the query, “Is ensure plus vegetarian?” and discussed what is ensure plus.
- Coffey, Niamh, et al. Oral Nutritional Supplements: Sugar Content and Potential Dental Implications. Gerontol, 2021.
- Englund, Davis A., et al. Nutritional supplementation with physical activity improves muscle composition in mobility-limited older adults, the VIVE2 study: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Gerontol A, 2018, 73, 95-101.
- Van Schoor, Roslynn. The role of supplement shakes during pregnancy and breastfeeding. South Afr Pharmac Assist, 2020, 20, 29-30.