In this brief guide, we will answer the query, “Is Dunkin beyond vegan?” and will discuss how to order a vegan menu at Dunkin Donuts.
Is Dunkin beyond vegan?
Yes, Dunkin beyond is vegan. Dunkin’ Donuts and Beyond Meat teamed up to create one of the first meatless breakfast sandwiches on the market. The sandwich may not be entirely plant-based, but it will be vegan if you ask for it without eggs and cheese. Although the sandwich is merely the muffin and Beyond Sausage without the cheese and egg, you can easily request it with the new avocado spread or ketchup and hash browns at most places.
The number of self identified “vegans” in the United States tripled from 1% in 2012 to 3% in 2018, now comprising about 10 million Americans. Beyond the growth of vegans, 23% of Americans report eating less meat and a third say they are consuming “plant‐based” products (4).
Even though the sandwich is a fantastic first step for the firm, Dunkin Donuts’ plant-based cheese and egg substitutes still have a long way to go. We might imagine Dunkin’s sights are set on a more comprehensive plant-based sandwich after introducing such a popular plant-based sausage alternative.
According to Beyond Meat, plant-based protein, fat, minerals, carbohydrates and water are its building blocks for its products. Protein is derived from pea, moong and fava beans, and brown rice. Fat is derived from coconut butter, coconut oil, sunflower oil and canola oil. Minerals are derived from calcium, iron, salt, and potassium chloride. Flavors and colors are derived from beet juice extract, apple extract, and natural flavors. Carbohydrates are derived from potato starch and plant fiber derivatives (methylcellulose) (1).
Beyond Meat is getting delivered a dry blend containing the pea protein. In the first step, the pea protein passes through an extruder, where water and steam are added. Heating, cooling and application of pressure then weave the pea proteins together. Subsequently, the woven protein is cut into smaller pieces, frozen and then mostly sent to co-manufacturers, which combine it with flavors and other ingredients according to Beyond Meat’s formula to obtain the finished products (2).
Dunkin’ Donuts: A Brief History
Did you know that Dunkin’ Donuts began in 1948 as “Open Kettle,” a coffee and donut business in Quincy, Massachusetts? William Rosenberg, the company’s creator, wanted to “prepare and serve the freshest, most delicious coffee and donuts in modern, well-merchandised establishments quickly and courteously.” He founded the first “Dunkin’ Donuts” business in 1955.
Dunkin’ Donuts’ origin story stands out in comparison to other large coffee chains. Starbucks, for example, emulates a European coffee experience, while Dunkin’ Donuts proudly promotes itself as American coffee, emphasizing the value of hard work. Dunkin’ Donuts is a franchised chain built upon the American Dream story of William Rosenberg, a hardworking New Englander with an eighth-grade education who successfully built a coffee empire. Despite the donuts in its name, the chain does 63 percent of its business in coffee, which embodies a specific identity for Dunkin’ Donuts coffee drinkers in Boston (3).
Vegan Sandwich Breakfast……. but no vegan Dunkin donuts?
Although there are vegan-friendly alternatives for both hot beverages (hello, almond, and oat milk!) and a newly added vegan breakfast sandwich (the Beyond Sausage Sandwich or Wrap ordered without egg or cheese), the star of the show—donuts—are unfortunately not vegan.
We might not crave Dunkin’ Donuts as much if they didn’t offer those delectable hash browns. If you live in Dunkin’ territory, however, you’ll almost certainly end up there one day. As a result, we’ve compiled a list of food and beverage substitutions that may help you fulfill some of your hunger. Specialty or seasonal beverages, for example, rely significantly on milk or cream for their richness, hence they are not suitable for vegans.
Bring Your Own Fixin’s
Take your order to the next level by bringing your extras! Here are a few suggestions:
When ordering a bagel, bring a container of nut butter, vegan cream cheese, or avocado with you. Simply spread some creamy goodness on either side and serve with a side of crispy hash brown crowns!
When you order a toasted English muffin or a multigrain thin, keep some delicious hummus on hand. For a fuller meal, add it to your bagel, Beyond Sausage sandwich, or wrap!
In a small thermos or water bottle, carry your favorite plant-based milk with you. You can order your favorite hot or iced coffee black (sweetened or unsweetened), with as much or as little plant-based milk as you’d like. Sweeteners like stevia, maple syrup, or agave could be used in the same way.
When ordering vegan at Dunkin’ Donuts, there are a few things to keep in mind.
· Before placing an order, take a look at the Dunkin’ Donuts website.
· If you’re ordering Dunkin’ Donuts from a delivery service online, make sure to specify any substitutes you’d want. Especially when it comes to plant-based milk. If you’re worried that your request won’t be honored (or that the server at DD won’t see it), it’s probably best to go there and order right away.
· To ensure that you are purchasing a vegan-friendly item, download both the Nutrition Information PDF and the Allergens & Ingredients PDF. Dunkin’ Donuts’ goods change frequently, and the PDFs appear to be updated regularly.
· Due to the addition of dairy milk or milk derivatives, it appears that most (if not all) seasonal drinks or dishes are not vegan. When Dunkin’ Donuts introduces new and interesting seasonal goods, be cautious. If an item does not declare that it is vegan, it is unlikely that it is.
· Simply request an English muffin with an extra Beyond Sausage patty to assist ensure you get a vegan breakfast sandwich while saving a few dollars. The national suggested retail price for the Beyond Sausage Sandwich is $3.99, but prices may vary depending on the region.
Dunkin’ Donuts has vegan options.
Vegan Breakfast Options:
· Beyond Sausage Sandwich/Wrap (order with no egg or cheese)
· Multigrain Brown Sugar Oatmeal (made with hot water, oat, or almond milk)
· Hash Browns
· English muffin
· Multigrain Thins
· Cinnamon Raisin
· Blue Raspberry Coolattas
· Strawberry Coolattas
· Peach Passion Fruit Refresher
· Strawberry Dragon Fruit Refresher
Vegan Beverages: (ask for oat or almond milk)
· Hot, Iced, or Cold Brew Coffee
· Hot or Iced Tea
· Iced Blueberry or Raspberry Black Tea
· Iced Green Tea
· Black or Herbal Teas
Other FAQs about Vegans that you may be interested in.
In this brief guide, we answered the query, “Is Dunkin beyond vegan?” and discussed how to order a vegan menu at Dunkin Donuts.
- Choudhary, Amod. Sustaining a first mover advantage in a fast-growing meat substitute market. Rutg Busin Rev, 2020, 53, 405-415.
- Mayrl, Stefan. Equity research report: valuation of beyond meat. Diss. 2020. NOVA – School of Business and Economics.
- Contois, Emily. The Dunkin’Donuts Origin Story: A Meaningful Beginning. Posted by emilycontois in Coffee Culture. 2013.
- Gheihman, Nina. Veganism as a lifestyle movement. Sociol comp, 2021, 15, e12877.