In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to tell if the ham is bad” with an in-depth analysis of ways to spot a bad ham. Moreover, we are going to discuss the health implications of eating a bad ham.
How to tell if the ham is bad?
There are certain indicators that point out whether or not your ham has gone bad so you should consider the appearance, color, texture, and smell of ham to find out if it has gone bad or not.
If you spot a mold or any other organic growth on your ham then it is an indication that your ha has gone bad and the best thing you can do in this scenario is to get rid of it.
It is worth mentioning that if you spot a mold on the surface of your ham you should refrain from smelling it as the molds can produce mycotoxins in the bad ham and if you smell such ham, they will go into your body via inhalation, and there they can disrupt your natural microflora, thus they can weaken your immune system.
You can read what happens when you eat moldy food here.
If you see that your ham has discoloration in it or if it is turning grey then it is an indication of a bad ham and you should discard such ham.
Fresh ham is firm to touch. So if you feel something slimy or gooey while touching your ham, then it is an indication that your ham has gone bad and you should get rid of it.
It is worth mentioning that washing a ham that has a slimy texture won’t do any good. It will increase the chances of cross-contamination and the things that come in contact with the water from the bacteria-laden ham will also become a site for bacteria growth.
If you can smell something acidic or sour while taking a sniff test of your ham then it means that your ham has gone bad and you should discard it
What are the health implications of eating a bad ham?
If you eat a ham that has gone bad then it can put you at risk of many foodborne illnesses especially food poisoning which is characterized by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea abdominal cramps, and fever. The main obnoxious agents that are responsible for food poisoning after the consumption of a bad ham are Listeria Monocytogenes, Staph Aureus, and Salmonella.
- Diarrhea is an indication of the body that a certain obnoxious agent has entered it. So consumption of bad ham or bacteria-laden ham often causes diarrhea.
- Food poisoning after consuming a bad ham is characterized by abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is also accompanied by vomiting and nausea in most cases.
- If you have consumed ham that has microbial growth in it then you will experience nausea and vomiting which is the natural defense of the body to get rid of the unwanted harmful substance that has entered the body.
- Consuming ham that has gone bad will also raise your body temperature and you can experience fever which is the natural defense mechanism of your body and is the indicator that something is off with your body.
Therefore you should immediately take medical help and try to drink as much water as possible so that while the body is getting rid of the toxins in form of diarrhea and vomiting, the water that you drink will protect your body against dehydration that vomiting can otherwise result in.
If you do not drink plenty of water then it can result in dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, weakness, and dizziness.
No doubt that consuming a bad ham will induce food poisoning in the individual that consumed it but some vulnerable populations are more prone to food poisoning if they consume a bad ham. They are
- Elderly people especially those that are above the age of 65
- Children that are aged under 5 as their immune system is weak as compared to the adults
- Pregnant women
- Immunocompromised people have a very weak immune system and are already suffering from diseases like HIV or the people that have recently got a transplant or have gone through surgery.
Therefore such people should take more care while consuming food and should always check if the ham they are going to consume is a good one or a spoiled one.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to tell if the ham is bad” with an in-depth analysis of ways to spot a bad ham. Moreover, we discussed the health implications of eating a bad ham.