In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How to tell an egg is boiled without breaking it?” tips to check hard-boiled eggs and how to hardboil eggs.
How to tell if an egg is boiled without breaking it?
Rotate an egg o a smooth surface like a table to tell whether an egg is boiled without breaking them. Immediately place your fingers in between the spinning egg. If the egg stops spinning, it is likely to be boiled. If it does not stop spinning, it is likely to be raw.
What are some other tips to check whether the eggs are boiled?
- You can also check how the egg spins without necessarily requiring to stop the motion of the eggs. If the eggs spin properly, it is likely to be hard-boiled. This is because the inside content of the eggs is firm.
If the eggs do not spin correctly and start to wobble, it is likely to be spoilt. This is because the eggs are raw which means that the liquid inside the eggs is moving which can cause difficulty in balancing causing the wobble.
- You can also shake the eggs gently to check whether the eggs are raw or hard-boiled. If the eggs are raw, you would hear the liquid moving inside the eggs.
If the eggs are hard-boiled, they would be firm and you would not hear anything moving inside.
- Another technique is to use a flashlight. You would have to wait till it turns dark to attempt this method. During the night, close all the windows and curtains as well as switch all the lights off.
Take a smaller flashlight and flash it against the egg. If the eggs light up like a lantern, it is likely to be raw. If the eggs do not light up and instead appears dark, it is likely to be boiled. A boiled egg is firm and does not allow light to pass through them.
A smaller flashlight would be more suitable for this method.
- Another tip is to mark the eggs. You can use a waterproof marker for this purpose. Mark the hardboiled ones as “HB” and the raw ones as “R”.
- Another tip would be to boil the eggs along with onion skins. The onion skins would give off a color that would help you to easily recognize the boiled eggs.
Red onion kins would be more suitable for the dying process as they would give out a deeper color.
- You can also use food colorings to dye the eggs. For this purpose, you would require ½ tsp of vinegar along with a few food colorings.
You can also try soaking the eggs in food colorings after boiling the egg in warm water. The eggs would not be spoilt as you would have to remove the shells to consume them.
How to hard boil eggs?
To hard boil eggs in the easiest manner, you can try to steam the eggs. For this purpose, you would have to place the eggs in a steamer basket. Pour the water into the pot and place the steamer basket.
Cover the steamer basket and let it cook for 15 minutes approximately. You can also steam the eggs by using half an inch of water in the absence of a steamer basket. The steam can easily help in peeling the eggs and cooking them too.
If you are finding it difficult to crack the eggs, allow them to remain in the warm water for a few minutes. This will loosen the membrane and make it easier to peel the eggs quickly.
Fill a pot or saucepan with cold water. You can also use running tap water as well. Place the eggs in the saucepan and let the eggs be covered with an inch of water at least.
Avoid overcrowding the saucepan with eggs as there is an increased risk of them breaking because of an increase in pressure. You can put 5-6 eggs. Avoid putting more than that.
Increase the heat on the burner and bring the water to a boil. You can add ½ a tsp of salt and vinegar before bringing the water to a boil which might prevent the eggs from cracking. Switch off the heat after the water boils.
If you love medium-boiled eggs, remove the eggs from the water after 7-8 minutes. You can also add cold water to the eggs to stop them from overcooking.
Other FAQs on eggs that you might be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How to tell an egg is boiled without breaking it?” tips to check hard-boiled eggs and how to hardboil eggs.