In this brief guide, we will answer the question, “How to tell if a cut watermelon has got spoilt?” and methods to store as well as to detect spoilt watermelon.
How to tell if a cut watermelon has got spoilt?
You can tell when a cut watermelon has gone spoilt by checking for molds and soggy spots. Water-melon that looks discolored or has a slimy texture needs to be avoided as well.
How to detect spoilt watermelon?
- Check the best by date or expiration date of the pre-cut watermelon. If the watermelon has been past the expiry date, avoid consuming them.
- White, green, or black spots outside the watermelon are indications of mold growth.
- A good watermelon should have a striped green color or green shade.
- The inside of a good watermelon should have a pinkish or reddish color. Certain varieties of watermelon have an orangish or yellowish color as well.
- Avoid consuming watermelon that has a slimy, gritty, or mushy texture.
- Avoid consuming watermelon that smells sour or tangy.
- Watermelon should have a sweet taste. Avoid consuming watermelons that have a sour taste.
- Avoid consuming watermelon having a yellow rind as it is an indicator of the presence of nitrates.
- Buy watermelons containing a firmer rind a moist texture.
How long does precut watermelon last?
Consume precut watermelon in a week. It could last in the refrigerator for three to five days. Don’t consume refrigerated pre-cut watermelon after two weeks.
How to store precut watermelon?
- Cut watermelon should be stored in an air-tight container. You can also place the precut watermelon in a resealable bag or wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. This prevents the watermelon from catching a strong odor of any other foods kept in the fridge.
- Store in the refrigerator at a temperature of 55 to 70℉. Refrigeration though can reduce the nutritional value of the watermelon.
- Use freezer bags if you plan to freeze the watermelon.
- You can also try pickling the pre-cut pieces. You can add vinegar, sugar, and lemon juice to the pieces. Boil the ingredients and add them to the slices. Arrange the slices in jars. Seal the jars and allow them to cool.
- You can also store the watermelon pieces in the form of jelly. Simmer the watermelon juice till it obtains a thicker consistency. Add pectin and sweetener as well.
Can you freeze precut watermelon?
Yes, you can freeze precut watermelon though it is usually not recommended. Make sure to store them in an air-tight package or container. Cut watermelon could stay in the freezer for at least nine to ten months. Thawing though can reduce the color and taste of the watermelon.
You can use frozen watermelon in smoothies. For smoothies, you can remove the seeds of the precut watermelon and cut the precut slices into cubes. Transfer them into aluminum foils and freeze them.
When the cubes become frozen, you can transfer them onto freezer bags and use them for your smoothies.
You can also use frozen precut watermelon for preparing fruit-infused water. For this, remove the rinds of the precut watermelon and put them into water. You can remove the seeds of the watermelon if you like.
You can then wrap them in a baking sheet with aluminum foil and freeze them. Once frozen, shift them into freezer bags.
Other FAQs about watermelon which you may be interested in.
Can precut watermelon be dehydrated?
Yes, you can dehydrate pre-cut watermelon. You would have to separate the rinds from the flesh of the watermelon first. Using a dehydrator, adjust the temperature and dry the watermelon. Dehydration though is a much longer process and it would take at least 24 hours for the watermelon to dehydrate.
Does whole watermelon last longer than precut watermelon?
Yes, the whole watermelon has a longer shelf-life than the precut watermelons. Whole watermelons can stay at room temperature for 7-8 days whereas precut watermelon needs to be immediately refrigerated or consumed and cannot last longer than two hours at room temperature.
Do not keep cut watermelons at a temperature of 41 to 135℉ for long. The whole watermelon can also last for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator while cut watermelons can last for only 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
Is it safe to consume pre-cut watermelon?
The consumption of the whole watermelon is recommended than pre-cut watermelon. This is because the precut watermelon can get spoilt easily and if proper practices are not followed while cutting the watermelon, it can lead to the contamination of the watermelon. You can read more on this here.
In this brief guide, we have answered the question, “How to tell if a cut watermelon has got spoilt?” and methods to store as well as to detect spoilt watermelon.