In this article, we will answer the question “How to store shredded carrots?”, and what are the health benefits of eating carrots?
How to store shredded carrots?
Shredded carrots can easily be frozen. Frozen carrots can be directly added to your recipes like soups, carrot muffins, casseroles, spaghetti sauce, carrot cakes, stews, stir-fries, pasta, and salads.
You can either store them in small servings using freezer bags. Shredded carrots stored in bulk will be difficult to separate. But if you do want to freezer-store a lot of shredded carrots and do not want to use a lot of expensive freezer bags, don’t worry, we have got you.
Wrap 1 cup shredded carrots in wax paper. Pre-freeze these bundles and keep multiple frozen carrot bundles in a single freezer bag. Follow the steps below to freeze shredded carrots.
- Wash peel and shred the carrots using a grater or food processor.
- Take a large pot and fill ⅔ part of it with water. Bring it to a rolling boil. Use 16 cups of water for every 4 cups of shredded carrots.
- Put the shredded carrots in the hot boiling water and let it stay for 2 minutes.
- Drain the water and immerse the shredded carrots in ice-cold water to halt the cooking process.
- Drain the carrots properly.
- Fill the freezer bags with meal-sized portions of the shredded carrots. Squeeze out all the air from the bag, use a straw for this purpose. Prefer using a vacuum-sealed bag for best results.
- Label the bag and freeze for a year.
How to refrigerate carrots?
Shredded carrots can also be refrigerated. Properly wash and peel the carrots before shredding them. The peel of carrots has lots of microbes that can grow and spoil the carrots if not removed.
Place the shredded carrots in an air-tight container, freezer bag, or any plastic bag. Do not keep the shredded carrots for more than 24 hours in the fridge. Carrots are root vegetables so there are high chances of contamination by wild yeasts.
These yeasts might remain even after the washing and peeling and grow to unacceptable levels causing spoilage if the carrots are kept past 24 hours. This yeast feeds on the naturally high sugar and juice content of the carrots.
How to thaw carrots?
The best practice is to defrost the frozen shredded carrots in the refrigerator overnight. If you did not plan ahead and want to thaw them quicker, place the freezer bag in a bowl full of water. Change the water after every 30 minutes until the shredded carrots have fully separated and thawed. According to the FDA, do not keep the carrots at temperatures of 40℉ for more than 2 hours.
How to pickle carrots?
Pickling is a very effective technique to preserve the carrots for extended periods of time. In this preservation technique, carrots are stored in a vinegar solution along with other vegetables and spices. Vinegar is a diluted solution of acetic acid.
Acetic acid has excellent preservation properties. It inhibits the growth of microbes by disrupting their cell walls and interfering with their enzymes. It does so by creating a low ph environment that most of the microbes cannot tolerate. Following are some basic recipes for pickling carrots.
- 8 oz. carrots, peeled and cut into about 2″ long sticks
- 1 tbsp table salt (coarse)
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- Red chili flake to taste
- Place the carrots in a bowl full of salted water. Let the carrots stay in this water for an hour. Then drain the carrots properly.
- In a pot or saucepan, add vinegar, sugar, and chili. Heat this mixture on a low-medium flame until the sugar dissolves. Let the mixture come to room temperature afterward.
- In a sterilized jar, add the carrots followed by the vinegar mixture. Refrigerate for 2 weeks.
- 2 carrots cut into juliennes
- 2 cucumbers, deseeded and cut into strips
- 2-3 green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard or sesame oil
- Salt and sugar, to taste.
- In a bowl, combine salt, sugar, vinegar, cucumber, and carrots. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Drain the water afterward.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, then add asafoetida and turmeric and. When the mustard seeds start to splutter, turn off the flame, add spices and vegetable mixture. Toss and serve.
- Store this pickle in a glass or stainless steel jar for up to 4 days.
In this article, we answered the question “How to store shredded carrots?”, and what are the health benefits of eating carrots?