In this article, we will answer the question “How to sterilize jars in an instant pot?”, and how to sterilize babies’ bottles in an instant pot?
How to sterilize jars in an instant pot?
- First, you need to add water to your instant pot according to its capacity.
- 1 cup (250ml) for a 3qt (3Ltr) pot
- cups (500ml) for a 6qt (5.7Ltr) pot
- 3 cups (750ml) for an 8qt (8Ltr) pot
- Then place a steam rack on the bottom of the pot. This will serve as a barrier between the glass jar and the pot and prevent the pot from damaging.
- Next, carefully place the upended glass jars on the steam rack. Toss in the metal lids If you want to. Screw the lid.
- The setting adjustment will vary depending on your model of the instant pot. Newer versions have a “Sterilise” setting. If you have an older instant pot, set the mode to “Pressure Cook” or “Steam”. Set the time to 15 minutes and the pressure to high. Press the start button and let the pot do its job.
- After 15 minutes, release the pressure and let the pot rest for about 5 minutes.
- Use tongs or a heat-protected cloth to remove the sterilized jars from the pot and transfer them to a drying rack or clean towel to dry.
- Stuff the jars with food right after the jars are dry.
How to sterilize babies’ bottles in an instant pot?
Disassemble the bottles and follow the exact procedure for sterilizing as described above for jam jars. Small bits of the bottles like the lid or the straws should not fall through the gaps in the steam rack. To counter this problem, use a colander instead or line the steam rack with a cheesecloth.
Which instant pots have the ‘Sterilize’ feature?
Instant pot models like Duo, Viva, and Ultra do have the ‘sterilize’ function. Pressure cook and steam functions are the alternatives for the sterilizing function.
How to wash an instant pot lid?
It is better to not use the dishwasher on the lid (the same with Brita pitchers). Instead, wash It with plenty of water after every use. You can also use warm soapy water for efficient and fast removal of stains and food residues.
For deep cleaning the parts of instant pot, follow the steps below:
- Push the Anti-block shield from one side and check for any food residues. After cleaning and drying, push It back into its position.
- Pull the venting knob and install It back after washing and rinsing it.
- Slide the condensation collector out and drain any liquid If present. Wash and dry and slide It back.
Clean instant pot exterior housing and rim
Never use water directly on the exterior housing. Instead, use a dampened towel to wipe clean the surface. To clean the rim, soak the craft foam brush in foamy water and then use it to clean the area around the rim.
You can also use a makeshift foam brush by wrapping a dampened microfiber cleaning cloth around a stick or chopstick. Push It around the rim to wipe It clean.
Clean instant pot liner
Hand wash the instant stainless steel liner using soapy water or leave the job to the dishwasher as It is dishwasher-safe. The cloudy or rainbow stains on the bottom of the pot can be removed by spraying white vinegar followed by wiping it off after some time.
Use a ‘Bar Keepers Friend’ cleanser to wipe off the stubborn stains that dogged the white vinegar. If some stains still manage to stay on the pot somehow, you can combine the ‘Bar Keepers Freind’ with the ‘Magic Eraser Cleaning Sponge’.
Clean instant pot sealing ring
It’s best to rinse and dry the sealing ring while It is still in its position because frequent pulling out will deform its shape which will affect the pressure cooking. It can also be washed in the dishwasher.
The stinky smell of the sealing ring can be eliminated by soaking It in white vinegar. Your best bet is to have at least one spare ring and use one for savory and the other ring for sweet dishes.
Other FAQs about Instant Pots which you may be interested in.
Functions of an instant pot
- Instant pot is great for cooking rice. When the timer goes off, the rice will be cooked. You can do other chores during the cooking period without having to stand by it.
- Instant pot can be used to steam food as well as caramelize vegetables using the saute mode.
- You can keep your food warm in an instant pot.
- Instant pot can be used to set yogurt. Some advanced versions of instant pot also enable you to boil eggs bake cakes.
In this article, we answered the question “How to sterilize jars in an instant pot?”, and how to sterilize babies’ bottles in an instant pot?