In this article, we will answer the question “How to start drinking coffee?”, and how to make your coffee super healthy?
How to start drinking coffee?
Introducing coffee’s taste to your tongue
- Eating coffee ice cream is a great way to introduce your taste buds to coffee. Coffee ice cream has a mild coffee flavor and is an absolute delight.
- If you are of legal age and enjoy drinking beer, try a coffee-flavored porter. It is made by flavoring beer with cold-brewed coffee.
- Coffee crumble cake with real coffee in it has a strong but sweet taste and will definitely help you familiarize yourself with the flavor of the coffee.
Trying different coffee drinks
Start with cream and sugar
Instead of drinking plain coffee, add milk in the form of almond milk, soy milk, or half-and-half. Powdered coffee creamers form lumps when added to the brew. Adjust the sweetness as per your taste by adding sugar. Add a cinnamon stick for added sweetness and flavor.
Try a latte
This rich and frothy beverage is simply one or two shots of espresso mixed with six to eight ounces of steamed milk and sugar. Like coffee with cream and sugar, a latte is mild and sweet.
Try iced drinks
If you do not enjoy hot drinks, in particular, try drinking cold coffee or iced coffee. Pour brewed coffee over ice cubes. Add some cream and syrup If you like.
Have a frozen drink
If you are in the mood for something cold especially in the blazing heat of summer, try drinking frozen coffee like Starbuck’s Frappuccino. Frapuccino can be made with different flavor variations. It is sweet and is served with heaping whipped cream on top.
Making your own cup of Joe
Purchase the different type of coffees
Try different blends of coffee. Have a conversation with a coffee barista or someone in your grocery store to enquire about the blends of coffee. Choose that suits your likings. You can also pay a visit to a local coffee roasting company for that matter.
Decide how you’ll brew it
Among the many ways to brew coffee, French Press and pour-over are considered the best. These types of coffee makers do not burn your coffee making sure all the delicate coffee flavors are intact in the brew. Experiment with brewing different types of coffee in a small French Press.
Compare your coffees
Brew different blends of coffee and let them cool. Do not label the cups to have an unbiased opinion. Grab a neutral food like bread to cleanse your palate in between tatsing.
Drink coffee when you want to
You do not need to drink coffee because everyone does. Remember coffee dependence is bad but coffee appreciation is not. Keep experimenting and do not jump the bandwagon to follow trends even If you dislike them.
Understanding the health benefits
The ultimate energy booster
Caffeine present in coffee makes you more alert, uplifts your mood by enhancing dopamine production, and helps better cognitive functions.
Coffee helps reduce weight. Studies have shown that coffee increases the metabolic rate by 3-11%.
Improves exercise performance
Coffee increases the adrenaline production that helps you focus and stay active during exercise. It also reduces post-workout muscle discomfort.
Full of vitamins and minerals
Only a cup of coffee provides 11% of RDI of Vitamin B2, 6% of the RDI of vitamin B5, and also provides a fair amount of minerals like magnesium, manganese, and potassium.
People who drink coffee are at lower risk of getting diabetes type 2, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and dementia. Coffee has been found to possess anti-cancerous properties.
The ultimate feel-good beverage
Coffee is the ultimate mood lifter. It stimulates the release of the feel-good hormone, thus, decreasing the chances of depression.
Rich source of antioxidants
Coffee contains an average of 200-550mg of antioxidants per cup. Anti-oxidants like hydrocinnamic acid and polyphenols present in coffee are the body’s defense against oxidative stress. They promote cardiovascular health.
Ways to make your coffee super healthy
- Do not drink coffee past 2-3 pm. The caffeine in the coffee helps make you alert but it can also disturb your sleep cycle.
- Added sugar in coffee makes it unhealthy. Go for natural sweeteners like stevia.
- Pesticides sprayed on coffee beans have detrimental health effects. If you are conscious of this, consider buying organic coffee blends.
- Adding a cinnamon stick to your coffee improves its taste while lowering blood glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides in diabetics.
- Low-fat and artificial creamers are heavily processed and unhealthy. Add full-fat cream from grass-fed cows to your coffee for improved nutritional value.
In this article, we answered the question “How to start drinking coffee?”, and how to make your coffee super healthy?