How to soften corn tortillas for enchiladas?
In this article, we will answer the question “How to soften corn tortillas for enchiladas?”, and how to make chicken enchiladas?
How to soften corn tortillas for enchiladas?
Corn tortillas need to be softened to roll them for enchiladas. This can be done either by frying or by steaming etc. all the methods to soften raw tortillas are discussed below along with the recipe to make the best enchiladas.
Grease a skillet and quickly fry the tortillas for about 8-10 seconds. Do not fry to make them crisp. We just want to get rid of the raw texture for easier rolling. After frying, coat the tortillas with green or red chile sauce. Frying provides the following benefits:
- It softens the tortillas, thus, allowing the sauce to absorb deeply without tearing the tortilla. It also enhances the flavor as the sugars in the tortillas caramelize when heated.
- It softens the tortillas without them soaking up too much oil.
Using a comal
A comal is a griddle made up of cast iron, carbon steel, or nonstick materials. It is, however, traditionally made up of clay. Most of the comal is about 8 inches thick and is shallow as compared to a simple skillet. Place the comal on low-medium heat and heat the tortillas without oil. Flip frequently for even heating. This is the most frequently used method by the Mexicans to heat tortillas.
You have to be careful when using this method because too much water will make your tortillas mushy and nobody wants that. Simply wrap your tortillas in damp towels and microwave them for a few seconds at high power. This method is frequently used in the US.
Spray and bake
Grease a baking tray with some oil. Spread the tortillas evenly. Do not stack. Grease both sides of the tortilla and bake them at 325 degrees for 5-8 minutes.
How to roll corn tortillas without breaking them?
Manage the timing. Prepare the filling, baking tray, and chile sauce first. When everything is ready, then, soften the tortillas and quickly fill and roll them. Place them into the chile coated baking tray immediately. The key is to use warm chile sauce to coat freshly heated tortillas.
Other FAQs about Tortillas which you may be interested in.
How to make corn tortillas without a press?
How to make chicken enchiladas?
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast(you can also shred leftover rotisserie chicken)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ of a medium onion, diced about ¾ cup
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- ⅓ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can Red Enchilada Sauce divided
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Cilantro, sour cream, diced tomatoes, lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Melt butter and olive oil in a non-stick pan and saute the onions until translucent.
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, and some minced garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken turns white. Pour broth, enchilada sauce, and some lime juice. Lower the flame and simmer this mixture for 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes. Then, prepare the 9 by 13-inch baking tray by greasing it with some oil.
- Pour about ½ cup of enchilada sauce into the baking tray and make sure the tray is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Soften the tortillas using any method you like.
- Coat each tortilla with enchilada sauce. Using a spoon, place about ¼ cup of the chicken sauce that you prepared into the center of each tortilla. Top with a tbsp of cheese and roll the tortilla carefully. Prepare all the tortillas and set them in the baking tray.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas in the baking tray. Garnish with cheese. Bake the enchiladas uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the cheese bubbles up and turns golden brown.
Can you freeze enchiladas?
Yes, you can freeze enchiladas. Do not freeze with the sauce and cheese. The sauce will separate from the chicken developing an undesirable texture. While frozen cheese does not brown very well.
Soften and fill the tortillas and place them in a tray covered with plastic wrap. When frozen transfer the enchiladas to the freezer bag or vacuum seal bags. Defrost before using. Add cheese and enchilada sauce, bake and enjoy.
Leftover enchilada can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep it covered with a plastic sheet and reheat in the microwave or oven.
In this article, we answered the question “How to soften corn tortillas for enchiladas?”, and how to make chicken enchiladas?