How to salt unsalted peanuts? (using only 3 ingredients)
In this article, we will answer the question “How to salt unsalted peanuts?”, and how to make pan-fried spicy garlic peanuts?
How to salt unsalted peanuts?
You can salt open peanuts by putting them in an airtight container and adding a few drops of oil. Shake the container to coat the peanuts with oil. Then add salt and shake one last time to mix.
Shelled raw peanuts can be cooed by either boiling them or roasting them in the skillet or in the oven. Peanuts are a very healthy snacking choice.
They give you a protein boost along with fats, iron, magnesium, fiber, and a good amount of powerful antioxidants. Read on if you want to know how to make boiled and roasted peanuts at home.
Soaking the peanuts
To salt peanuts by soaking, you need the following ingredients.
- 2 pounds (907 g) fresh, raw peanuts in their shells
- 2 gallons (7.5 l) water
- 4 tablespoons (68 g) salt
- Peanuts grow underground, therefore, they have a lot of dirt on their shells. Even if the peanuts look clean, It is important to wash them thoroughly under cold running water.
- In a large stockpot, add 2 gallons of water and 4 tbsp of salt. To make the brine, the rule f thumb is to add 2 tbsp of salt for every gallon of water.
- Let the peanuts soak in the brine solution for at least 8 hours or overnight. Longer soaking periods will lead to saltier peanuts.
- Drain the peanuts using a colander and place them on a kitchen towel to allow them to try.
Roasting in the oven
- 1 lb shelled peanuts (or 1 1/2 lb unshelled peanuts)
If you have washed the unshelled peanuts, leave them in the colander to remove excess water. Remove the rest of the water by pat drying the peanuts using paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ for about 20 minutes.
- On a shallow baking tray, spread the peanuts evenly. Do not overcrowd.
- Shelled peanuts need to be roasted for only 15-20 minutes or until the peppery skin of the peanuts comes loose and it starts to develop a golden hue. Do not forget to give the peanuts a stir twice during roasting.
This ensures that the peanuts are roasted evenly without burning. The peanuts with their shells intact need to be roasted for 20-25 minutes or until the shells become golden or light brown.
Stir the peanuts once or twice while they are still in the oven. Unshelled roasted peanuts continue to cook after removing them from the oven.
Note that you need to be careful with the peanuts that have just come out of the oven. Do not use your hands to check for doneness. Use tongs instead.
To salt peanuts by boiling method, you will need the following ingredients.
- 3 gallons (11 l) water
- 5 tablespoons (85 g) salt
- Thoroughly rinse and wash the peanuts.
- In a large stockpot, add 3 gallons of water and 3 tbsp of salt. Then stir in the peanuts in this solution.
- Place the pot on the stovetop. Cover with a tight lid. Let the peanuts simmer for 4 hours on medium heat.
- After 4 hours, check the peanuts for doneness. They should be soft like a boiled bean and not crunchy. If not done yet, let the peanuts simmer for another 3-4 hours.
- Drain the peanuts in a colander and place them on a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
Other FAQs about Peanuts which you may be interested in.
How to make pan-fried spicy garlic peanuts?
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or high heat vegetable oil
- 2 lb shelled raw Spanish peanuts, with skins
- 8 spicy dried chilies, deseeded and crushed
- 1 tbsp coarse Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp fresh lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
You can add more chilies to adjust the spice level according to your taste buds. The garlic might look a lot but it only imparts a mild garlicky flavor to the peanuts.
- Separate the garlic heads into cloves. Keep the peppery skin of the garlic cloves intact as it will protect the garlic from burning during roasting.
- On a medium flame, heat the peanut oil on a large skillet. Toss in the peanuts, garlic cloves, and chiles. Roast them thoroughly by stirring continuously for 10-12 minutes.
- After 10-12 minutes, when the peanuts are nice and brown, add lime juice, zest, and salt. Turn off the flame and toss the juices into the peanut mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Transfer the spicy garlic peanuts to a bowl and serve warm. It is a perfect treat for picnics.
In this article, we answered the question “How to salt unsalted peanuts?”, and how to make pan-fried spicy garlic peanuts?