In this article, we will answer the question “How to reheat Tamales in an instant pot?”, and how to reheat Tamales in the microwave?
How to reheat Tamales in an instant pot?
If you are reheating Tamales using the instant pot method, you must have a steamer basket specially designed for the pot. Follow the steps below to reheat or steam or Tamales in an instant pot.
- Fill your pot with at least 2 cups of water to produce steam sufficient for proper heating. Make sure your Tamales do not touch the water in the pot.
- Place the Tamales in the basket in a circular pattern and make sure they are placed in a standing position with the open end facing upwards.
- Close the instant pot with a tight lid and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, let the pressure release naturally. After the pressure has released, remove the basket using tongs or mittens.
How to steam Tamales?
Steaming Tamales depends on what kind of filling is in the Tamale and the type of your steamer. It is recommended to only steam a layer of Tamales at one time unless It is a tiered steamer. Follow the steps below to steam your Tamales.
- Set the time on the Tamales for 20 minutes and check the temperature and texture of the Tamales.
- Oversteaming will lead your Tamales to become a soft, soft, and mushy mess, especially If the filling is moist like tomatoes.
- If you are steaming your Tamales directly from frozen, It will take about 40-45 minutes. However, you must check the Tamales after every 20-minute interval.
How to steam Tamales on the stovetop?
When you are reheating Tamales directly from frozen on the stovetop, It will take about 40 minutes. But you must check the Tamales for overcooking after every 20-minute interval. Here’s how to steam Tamales on the stovetop.
- In a pot, add enough water so that It covers 2 inches of the pot from the bottom. Now place the steamer insert in the water. It should not sink into the water or else the Tamales will get mushy.
- Now carefully place your Tamales into the steamer insert standing up. Do not overfill the pot, do not let the Tamales touch the water, and last but not the least, do not let your Tamales fall over.
How to steam Tamales without a steamer?
A rice cooker and an instant pot can be used as a makeshift steamer to reheat your Tamales. Steaming in an instant pot is discussed above. Follow the steps below to reheat or steam your Tamales in a rice cooker.
The following method works best If you are reheating 4-6 Tamales at a time or else they will be too congested to reheat evenly.
To protect the Tamales from the water, the bottom of the rice cooker must be covered with rolled-up aluminum foil or a round metal rack.
Follow the steps below to reheat your Tamales in a rice cooker.
- Fill the rice cooker with an inch or two of water. Make sure your Tamales do not touch the water and are placed in a standing position with the open end facing upwards.
- Reheating the Tamales through this method will only take 20 minutes. Check for the doneness and the internal temperature of the Tamales after 20 minutes. Cook for a few more minutes If needed.
How to reheat tamales in an oven?
Reheating tamales can make your Tamales go dry quickly. To counter this problem, line the baking tray with foil or wrap each Tamale in aluminum foil. Reheating the Tamals in the oven will only take about 25 minutes.
If you let the Tamales defrost by placing them on the counter for 15-20 minutes, they will only take 14- 20 minutes in the oven when heated at 350℉.
How to reheat Tamales on a Griddle or Stovetop?
Before frying the Tamales on a Griddle or frying pan, make sure they are completely defrosted and wrapped in their corn husks.
Over high heat on a Griddle, Tamales will only take 5-7 minutes to reheat. When reheated completely, the husk should be blackened and the filling should be hot.
If you removed the husk, reheat the Tamale in some oil. It creates a nice crispy outer crust and takes only 3 minutes.
Can you reheat Tamales in the microwave?
To avoid uneven heating and rubbery texture, follow the steps below when microwaving Tamales.
- Heat the frozen Tamales on medium for 3 minutes. Then heat for another 2 minutes.
- Thawed tamale should be heated for 1 minute on high on each side.
In this article, we answered the question “How to reheat Tamales in an instant pot?”, and how to reheat Tamales in the microwave?