In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to preserve garlic?” with an in-depth analysis of the pickling method for preserving garlic. Moreover, we are going to discuss the methods to peel the garlic and the nutritional value of the garlic.
How to preserve garlic?
You can preserve the garlic by pickling it.
How to preserve the garlic by picking method?
You can keep the raw garlic in a cool, dry place and use it for a month.
But make sure to keep the temperature constant.
But if you want to keep the garlic fresh for months, you can also preserve it.
You can easily preserve the garlic using the pickling method.
To preserve the garlic, follow the instructions given below;
- Peel the cloves of the garlic and put them in a bowl filled with water.
- After cleaning the garlic cloves, put them in a large strainer and rinse them well.
- If there are any spots on your garlic cloves, you should remove them using a knife and rinse them again in the strainer.
- Boil the vinegar in a large pot.
- Put the garlic cloves in a jar and pour the vinegar solution over these cloves.
- Put the jar at room temperature overnight and then keep it in the fridge.
How can you peel garlic?
There are various methods through which you can peel your garlic.
Some of them are as follows;
With the help of a knife:
Put your garlic cloves on a cutting board and take a flat knife.
With the help of the knife, press the garlic cloves in a downward direction.
Then remove the skin and you will be able to do it easily.
With the help of hot water:
You can also peel the garlic using hot water.
For this purpose, just pour the garlic cloves into a bowl filled with hot water.
Let them soak for a min and then you will see that your garlic is easily peeled.
With the help of a jar:
You can also peel the garlic using a jar.
For this purpose, take the garlic cloves and put them in a jar.
Shake the jar vigorously until you see that the outer layer of the garlic cloves has been removed.
How long can garlic last?
The shelf life of the garlic depends on its storage.
It doesn’t come with a “best by” or “expire by” date and can be used for up to a year if it is properly stored.
The shelf life of the garlic is as follows;
- Your whole head of the garlic can last for 3 to 5 months in the pantry.
- However, if the whole head of the garlic has been broken, it may spoil earlier.
- If you have peeled garlic it can last for 7_10 days in the pantry.
- To increase the shelf life, you can also refrigerate the peeled garlic but you shouldn’t put the unpeeled garlic in the fridge.
How to know that your garlic has gone bad?
Even if you have properly stored the garlic, you should check it before using it.
And if you see your garlic gone bad, you shouldn’t use it.
There are some of the signs that can easily let you know that your garlic has gone bad;
- Change is colour or the formation of brown spots on the garlic cloves as an indicator of the bad garlic.
- An unpleasant or sour smell also indicates that your garlic has gone bad.
- If the garlic feels smooth on touching rather firm, it also indicates that it has gone bad.
What happens if you eat bad garlic?
If you have eaten bad garlic accidentally it may make you ill by causing food poisoning or botulism.
Botulism results in very serious cases and it is fatal for your health.
Symptoms of list caused by eating the bad garlic are given below;
- double vision
- difficulty in swallowing
- difficulty in breathing
That’s why you should always ensure that your garlic isn’t bad before using it.
What is the nutritional value of garlic?
The nutritional value of the garlic for one clove of the raw garlic(3g) provided by the USDA is as follows;
- Calories: 4.5
- Fat: 0g
- Sodium: 0.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fibre: 0.1g
- Sugars: 0g
- Protein: 0.2g
- Vitamin C: 0.9mg
- Zinc: 0.04mcg
Here are the health benefits of garlic.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to preserve garlic?” with an in-depth analysis of the pickling method for preserving garlic. Moreover, we discussed the methods to peel the garlic and the nutritional value of the garlic.