In this article, we will answer the question “How to prepare spinach for pizza?”, and how to make Three-Cheese White Pizza with Spinach?
How to prepare spinach for pizza?
- Spinach can be added fresh in the pizza. It will get tender while it is baked in the oven.
- The other method is to sautee it for 2-3 minutes in some olive oil or any other oil.
- Another method is to sautee onions in some on a non-stick pan until translucent followed by sauteeing spinach until tender. Mix the sauteed onions and spinach with herbs and spices and use as a pizza topping.
How to make Three-Cheese White Pizza with Spinach?
To make three-cheese white pizza, fresh spinach is added in the topping. Ricotta cheese adds a lot of creaminess and richness to its taste while the fragrance of garlic topped on the pizza while it bakes in the oven is unparalleled. The following recipe serves 6 people and is the go-to comfort food.
- 1 pound refrigerated fresh or frozen pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (part-skim)
- 2 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (equates to 1/2 cup)
- 2 oz. pecorino Romano cheese, grated (equates to 1/2 cup)
- 3 tbsp milk (2% reduced-fat)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Let your homemade refrigerated or frozen dough come to room temperature. Place it on the counter for abot 30 minutes while it is covered.
- Preheat the oven to 500℉ for about 20 minutes. Place a pizza stone or a heavy baking sheet in the oven while it preheats.
- Place a pan on medium-high heat. Grease it with some olive oil. Sautee minced garlic until it sizzles. Then add spinach and sautee until tender. It takes about 1-2 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together ricotta cheese, milk and the remaining garlic.
- On a flour-dusted counter, roll the dough into a 12-innch circle and poke hole in it using a fork. Remove the pizza stone or the baking tray from the oven carefully since its heated. Spread cornmeal over the pizza stone or tray and place the rolled pizza dough on top of it. Spread cheese mixture on they dough leaving a ½ inch border. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden while the crust is light brown and crisp.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Spinach pizza variations
Mushroom, garlic, and spinach pizza
- Fresh homemade or frozen pizza dough (bring it to room temperature if frozen)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- Handful or 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach
- Fresh basil, red pepper flakes, oregano, thyme or any of your favorite herbs and spices for topping
- Preheat the oven at 475℉ for about 20 minutes. Roll the dough into a round shape on a dusted counter.
- Brush the rolled dough with some oil on both sides. Spread cheese, garlic, mushrooms and spinach on the dough evenly. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and crust is golden and crisp.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with your favorite herbs and spices. Serve warm and enjoy.
Any Florentine dish is prepared with spinach. The word florentine comes from the Florence city of Italy. If you are using frozen spinach, squeeze all the water form it by spreading it on a kitchen towel. This is particularly helpful if you are not going to sautee your spinach. If you want to cut down on heat and fat, skip the chilli flakes and use low fat ricotta, respectively.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or table salt
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup fresh or frozen spinach( defrost the frozen spinach)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1 tsp oregano flakes
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven at 425℉ for 15-20 minutes.
- Dust your work counter with some flour and roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Mix olive oil, salt, and garlic. Spread this mixture evenly on the rolled dough.
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta, dried oregano, spinach leaves, parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes. Spread this mixture evenly over pizza dough. Last but not the least, top the pizza with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until cheese is melted nad takes on a golden hue. The cust should be golden-brown and crispy.
In this article, we answered the question “How to prepare spinach for pizza?”, and how to make Three-Cheese White Pizza with Spinach?